Pyramiding NOT prevented by humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Just wanted to get your attention. I'm certainly not qualified to debate that. But I am curious, if it happens due to a lack of moisture then why do you sometimes see red yeared sliders with pyramiding?

Don't get me wrong, the humidity arguement is very convincing and I certainly plan on raising all hatchlings according to that method.

Thanks!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Pyramiding can be caused by different things. With tortoises, MOST of the time, it is due to low humidity/hydration. Occasionally, it can be caused by MBD.

Now in aquatic turtles, it is different story. I think diet and poor lighting is more of a factor.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
voodoochild said:
Just wanted to get your attention. I'm certainly not qualified to debate that. But I am curious, if it happens due to a lack of moisture then why do you sometimes see red yeared sliders with pyramiding?

Don't get me wrong, the humidity arguement is very convincing and I certainly plan on raising all hatchlings according to that method.

Thanks!

Because your comparison isn't even a comaparison.......Tortoises and Turtles are completely different animals - They may look alike, but Chimpanzees look similiar to some people I know...........

Red Eared Sliders shed their scutes. Tortoises DO NOT. Turtle Scutes do not grow or function the same way Tortoise scutes do. A Red Eared Slider that looks "Pyramided" is the result of those scute layers not being able to shed off the way they need to, so the layers build........A few months of wheat germ Pellets and they look good as new.......

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
EricIvins said:
voodoochild said:

Thanks!

Because your comparison isn't even a comaparison.......Tortoises and Turtles are completely different animals - They may look alike, but Chimpanzees look similiar to some people I know...........

Red Eared Sliders shed their scutes. Tortoises DO NOT. Turtle Scutes do not grow or function the same way Tortoise scutes do. A Red Eared Slider that looks "Pyramided" is the result of those scute layers not being able to shed off the way they need to, so the layers build........A few months of wheat germ Pellets and they look good as new.......

Oh interesting! I thought a turtle shell was a turtle shell. I was reading on some turtle forums and they were blaming protein and over feeding and it made me wonder.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
EricIvins said:
voodoochild said:

Thanks!

I've never heard of this! Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.