Pyramiding in tortoises with Metabolic Bone Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
RE: pyramiding with MBD

I also apologize if my tone or anything was harsh. It was not meant to be.

G

ghdfans2010

Wow !Interesting post!I'm new here!Nice to share your post!

X

xseoer

What is the impact of marine pollution on the extent of tortoise?
We know that tortoise in high-level of the food chain.
Prey of contaminated marine.
Whether those pollutants would be deposited in their body?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Outstanding thread. I struggle with this when I see it and become very sad. I know that alot of my hatchlings turn up years later with extreme pyramiding and it disgust me.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Summarized, the article says that they still feel that early growth is a key factor- that we are not growing them slowly enough with enough bone density, although they admit that we don't have the final answer yet. They do agree that heightened humidity makes a smoother shell, but they feel it is an imperfect solution---- assuming I am reading it right.

Michiba54

5 Year Member
Florida
ahh, I see. Thanks Madkins. :cool:

Hopfully this (Pyramiding) isn't a "missing link" debate where the opponents just keep asking for evidence.

firework

5 Year Member
Do you guys know which species are most prone to MBD? Many of the example pictures I saw are sulcatas.

I have a Greek, it's my first tortoise, it's been with me since it's only 4 months. It's one year old now, I do not see signs of MBD. What I heard is when you see uneven shell, it's too late to reverse it. This makes me nervous. It's like you never know before it's too late.

S

sanctumbarbosa

In the second picture, there is no scute material over the slice of bone. The porous section you see is actually the bone. If there were a scute on the bone, it would look like a lump on the outside, but a cut off side view would look perfectly normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.