pyramiding in indian stars

blondmyth

how bad would you say this pyramiding is?

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 125

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
how bad would you say this pyramiding is?

cheers
looks like perfect growth for age
I have seen unnaturally pyramided Indian stars. That one looks fine.

blondmyth

Thanks for the reply.

Are u saying that it's normal for indian stars to pyramid as they age? Shouldn't pyramiding be avoided and prevented at all costs, since it's a form of MBD?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the reply.

Are u saying that it's normal for indian stars to pyramid as they age? Shouldn't pyramiding be avoided and prevented at all costs, since it's a form of MBD?
The issue of pyramiding in Indian stars seems to cause new keepers much concern. Navigate through the 'Similar Threads' discussions below for a fuller understanding of what is natural and what is unnatural growth. The natural 'pyramided' growth of Indian Stars is not metabolic bone disease. We probably shouldn't even apply the term 'pyramiding' to natural growth in Indian stars because that term has become loaded and causes so much confusion and concern to the uninitiated.

blondmyth

Have googled much about this topic lately and read that some keepers still strive to achieve a rounded smooth shell for Indian stars. Are they just misinformed then?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Have googled much about this topic lately and read that some keepers still strive to achieve a rounded smooth shell for Indian stars. Are they just misinformed then?
See the thread below from ben32hayt 'Pyramiding in my star' from Apr 9, 2013 to see what an Indian star with MBD looks like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't view pyramiding as a form of MBD. It can be caused by simple dryness in the air and its irrelevant to health. Since it can be caused by a single environmental parameter, is it really a metabolic process in that case? When a kid wears braces and the teeth and bone shift, is that a metabolic disease? I think not. In other words a tortoise can be exceptionally healthy and fed very well on a correct high fiber, high calcium diet, get plenty of sunshine and good hydration and still pyramid.

In some cases it truly is just cosmetic and its not harmful to the tortoises at all. Should we strive to grow them smooth, healthy and "natural" looking? Yes. I think we should. All of the pics you've shown look pretty good to me. Perfect? No, but not bad at all. I would examine how well these specimens were cared for and look less at the state of their carapace. Were they fed correctly, well hydrated, good UV source, kept away from infection by other tortoise species, proper temps and humidity, large enclosures for exercise, etc...

blondmyth

Thanks very much for the reply Tom. Do have a better understanding of pyramiding now. Cheers