Proud New Red Foot Tortoise Owner

PJRO

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, OH
Yesterday I got 2 approximately 4 inch red footed tortoises from a monthly reptile show in Columbus, OH. Their names are Kit and Kat. I am very exited to have them as part of our household! They seem to be doing well and both are eating. My question is what time of day to feed. From what I have read on the forum the time of day to feed is in the morning. But, both days they seem to be eating in the evening between 6 and 7 pm. I thought they were going to bed by then? This morning I gave them a buffet of kale, beet tops, a little carrot, and some cantaloup. Hardly anything was touched until this evening and now it is mostly gone. It looks limp to me! Thanks for all the great posts and advice on the forum. Very helpful for a first time tortoise owner!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO. I feed my Redfoot torts in the morning and sometimes I offer an afternoon snack. It sounds like the previous owners fed in the evening so that's the schedule they're used to. You can do whatever you want, they'll get use to a new routine in no time. Got any pics?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most do seem to feed in the a.m. This is usually when they would feed in the wild, in the a.m. And then again in the late evening, all cooler times. If this seems to be when yours wants to eat, then feed them at that later time. If it were me, I would give a small amount in the a.m. so they could eat all day long if they wanted and then give them their bigger meal at their later eating time.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I feed mine at 6pm because that's when I get home from work, and I don't have time in the morning

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Congrats, love the names !!!

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Congrats, love the names !!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The names are probably close to an infringement of Trade Mark!
Good advice already given and yes we all love pics here.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of information available on the care sheets here, have a good look around and don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions. Lots of our wonderful members are more than happy to offer their advice.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
welcome. red foots are awesome just be sure to watch out for signs of aggression even tho people most of the time say redfoots are more "social" with each other then most species it's still a problem that can and does happen

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

PJRO

Columbus, OH
Kit and Kat are doing terrific. Bought a second heat lamp and the temp is now a solid 80 in the middle of the enclosure and warmer at the ends under the lights. I have ordered a Monsoon mister/humidifier since I can't seem to keep the humidity up. I am still struggling with the whole diet thing. I have read that fruits and veggies should only be given once or twice a week and make up 10 to 15% of diet. So far they love all fruit I have given (banana, strawberry, and cantaloup) and love mushrooms and cherry tomato. They kind of eat grated sweet potato and carrot. They love kale and hate beet greens. They don't seem to care for mustard greens or the artisan lettuce mix I bought. I am very confused about what 10 to 15% of diet means. If I give 1 cherry tomato or 1 mushroom with a plate full of greens on a daily basis is that too much (there are 2 of them)? Or 1 small strawberry or 1 inch of banana with their greens?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot are funny. If you give them something they really love, they may choose NOT to eat anything else for a while until they teach you a lesson and give it to them again.
Don't give a baby any bad food habits. If he's healthy, he'll eat proper food again when he's hungry enough.