ProRep Tortoise Feed Growing Kit

sbwalker5

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
I have recently ordered a ProRep plant growing kit specifically for the diet of Mediterranean Tortoises (I have a 7 month old Marginated Tortoise)

Amazon link

Has anyone seen, or used this before, and what are people's thoughts on this product?

"ProRep's mixture contains the following, to guarantee a nutritional and digestible diet for Mediterranean tortoises:

Dandelion, smooth hawk's beard, nipplewort, chicory, smooth sow thistle, great plantain, hoary plantain, ribwort plantain, common mallow, musk mallow, dwarf mallow, shepherd's purse, hairy bittercress, wavy bittercress, white/Dutch clover, red clover, common vetch, sainfoin, creeping bell-flower, field bindweed, hedge mustard."

For 4 weeks now our tortoise has had a diet of shop-bought greens, so hopefully now he can receive a very good varied diet using this growing kit.

When I begin feeding him this, is there anything else his diet should be supplemented with? Or will this diet provide all the nutrition he needs?

Thanks

P.S. Here's a picture of little Douglas getting hand fed after a soak - he seems to have warmed to us now, and likes us to feed him a little!
8BFD96F9-3605-4C23-8400-A0CD049A51B7.jpg~original

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good. However, it would probably be cheaper to just buy the seeds and plant in plain dirt or coconut coir. Let us know how it goes please:)

sbwalker5

Sheffield, UK
Yea I've realised that since ordering, you can get 40 packs of seeds for £6. I'll be getting those to top up when these run out!

macky9326

Scotland
I got two! Been sitting in my room for three weeks ImageUploadedByTortForum1393977721.695642.jpg, can't wait for the sun to come out so I can start growing!

Last edited by a moderator:

sbwalker5

Sheffield, UK
Well I've planted the seeds in the propagator, and put it in the corner of Douglas' inside enclosure. I figure that way it's getting the warmth and light that it requires. The seeds have germinated quite well so far in a few days..
Hopefully it won't be long until there's enough to eat!