Princess Dorothy needs Help !

TexTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Pearland, TX
Dorothy, our new baby sulcata was born on 5/10/2015. She has always been more of a sleepy baby than the other 4 we have: 7 yr old, 9 mo old, 8 mo old and 2 mo old from same hatching. She and Dani (same age) came down with an eye infection and the vet treated them with a triple antibiotic ointment that has Dani up and the spunky little terror that she always has been. Dorothy; however, is sliding downhill over this week. I took her to the vet yesterday and she was given an injection of hydration with vita A & D to help boost energy, metabolism and appetite. I was also given a formula to syringe feed her which contains hay, grasses, vegis, vita and minerals. This is going well-I can actually get quite a bit ingested due to her being too weak to resist.

Over the last week:
  • Sleeps 90% of the day
  • Shell is thinning- can be pushed in on all areas
  • Loss of any appetite
  • Has not pooped in 5 days
  • Urinates okay
Reaching out to all my Tortoise Lovers ----ANY SUGGESTIONS OR INPUT would be much appreciated...

Lili and Brandon

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G may be able to give some help. The vitamin A injection may be the biggest problem here. Hopefully there is something that will help her get back to normal.

TexTorts

Pearland, TX
Thank you so much for the help. I just left vet (reg vet out til Tues and I have appt) and we have ruled put parasites. So.. we will work diligently through this! I'm a fighter and so are all of my babies. :)

TexTorts

Pearland, TX
It is with a very sad heart that we lost our precious Princess Dorothy this afternoon.

Please disregard above request for help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
condolences for some solace check out my poem Rainbow Bridge for tortoises hope it helps

TexTorts

Pearland, TX
Thank you for the kind words. We only had this sweet little soul for 3 months and she had our hearts twisted around her. She is missed in such a huge way already. But, she knew she was loved.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Very sorry, in regards to 3mo tortoise, anything is possible as a contributory factor to the tortoise's death. Congenital, viral, bacterial, parasitic, husbandry, etc. I have lost a few youngsters myself. I lost a baby Burmese Star that ultimately had a jaw defect that could not be seen until it was too far gone. Nothing you can do about that. I don't blame the breeder since it was too small to visually see until it was unfixable. Best advice going forward, keep new additions separate, review your husbandry to make sure everything is the best possible set up possible, fecal analysis to check for parasites. Make sure you are purchasing animals from a known breeder. Breeders doing it the right way will likely ensure the new purchase will be doing well and being fed correctly, soak babies daily, etc.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry for your loss.
Found this snippet of a much longer poem recently...

".....when tomorrow starts with out me
don’t think we’re far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I’m right here in your heart".

TexTorts

Pearland, TX
So sorry for your loss.
Found this snippet of a much longer poem recently...

".....when tomorrow starts with out me
don’t think we’re far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I’m right here in your heart".
Thank you so much..very touching