Preparing for a red footed tort

mamameg

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, MI, USA
Hello! My name is Meg and I am preparing to purchase a red footed tortoise. While I will have an outdoor habitat for her, I am looking for advice on building the best indoor habitat with real plants. I live in Detroit so the majority of the year they will remain inside.
I am worried about ensuring that the humidity/temperature levels are adequate. From what I have researched, I like the look of wooden enclosures that include plexi-glass. Do you need to put in ventilation holes? What plants are good for the habitat? Any that are off limits? How do you clean it- or will certain bugs clean up the tortie's waste?

Any and all advice is welcome! I just want to ensure that I will be well prepared for my little tort before it comes.

Thank you in advance!

~Meg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Meg and welcome from Texas. You are going to love your RF. They are wonderful and in my view the easiest species to feed.
I just recently saw a thread where people were discussing plastic indoor enclosures which is what I would probably do if I had to keep mine indoors that much. Apparently you can order one online. I don't remember dimensions but the ones our members were discussing seemed to be a pretty good size

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello! My name is Meg and I am preparing to purchase a red footed tortoise. While I will have an outdoor habitat for her, I am looking for advice on building the best indoor habitat with real plants. I live in Detroit so the majority of the year they will remain inside.
I am worried about ensuring that the humidity/temperature levels are adequate. From what I have researched, I like the look of wooden enclosures that include plexi-glass. Do you need to put in ventilation holes? What plants are good for the habitat? Any that are off limits? How do you clean it- or will certain bugs clean up the tortie's waste?

Any and all advice is welcome! I just want to ensure that I will be well prepared for my little tort before it comes.

Thank you in advance!

~Meg

Hi and welcome.
I'm assuming you are new to tortoises. Growing plants in a closed system enclosure is not easy. If I was you I would learn the basics of caring for your redfoot and experiment with plants later.
For redfoot care I would use a close system, vivarium or some kind of plastic tub.
Put a 2 to 3" layer of moist coir in the bottom, then a thin layer of orchid bark and/or Cyprus mulch on top of the coir covering about half the enclosure, at one end you need a hide with spaghnum moss in, also put moss around the hide.
Feed of a flat Rock or slate or textured tile. You need a bath for your tort to drink and soak in, I use terrocotta saucers dug down level to the substrate. Usually I use 2 baths, the evaporation from the water keeps humidity up, humidity wants to be 80%+.
For heat I use a CHE(ceramic heat emitter). Put this on a thermostat set so you get an ambient temperature in your enclosure between 80 and 86f. No basking spot is required for redfoots.
You need a UVB light to imitate the sun's rays, I use a florescent 5.0 UVB tube type Wich is as long as the width of your enclosure. Place this at the opposite end of your hide over your feeding place width ways in your enclosure. This way when your tort eats it also gets D3 from the UVB for good bone growth, and it won't light up the entire enclosure, they don't like it super bright. Feed weeds/greens every day, and one piece of fruit or mushroom the size of your torts head, alternate the fruit and mushroom, and feed protein(I chose worms and slugs) once a week. So weeds every day, fruit 3 days, mushroom 3 days and protein 1 day per week. This feeding method will not allow your tort to pig out on fruits or mushroom and will force it to eat weeds(the good stuff)
It's important to keep your tortoise Hydrated, spray the Carapace (shell) of your tort every morning and every evening. Soak your tort in Luke warm water ever day for 15mins.
You will read many different opinions on how to raise them, none are the one right way it should be done, just different.
The above I wrote is a sure safe way to raise a baby redfoot.
Good luck

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Hey there fellow Detroiter! :D

I started out with a large bin but they grew very fast (an ounce or two a month) so I upgraded to a raised garden bed setup. I found this Lifetime Raised garden bed with tent top on amazon. We built a wooden table base and lined it with several layers of tarp before putting down soil and a top layer or coir forest floor mix.

The enclosure is 4X4 and what's nice is I can add another one when I'm read to expand. The tent top holds in great humidity and heat. I couldn't be happier with this enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491432111.434973.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491432126.823291.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491432143.860728.jpg

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
A great starter setup is a Christmas tree storage bin. https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-Holiday-Tree-Storage-Tote/48037028

But he will grow quickly and you will need to upgrade in a year.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491432391.580830.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491432399.325817.jpg

Also my lamps there I often worried about. Also, I couldn't hold in humidity well with that opening where the lights were. You'll learn from trial and error but your best advice will be listening to @Anyfoot here! :D

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Thank you both for your advice and photos! I am new and am excited to make the addition to our family soon. I will update photos when I have the setup and redfoot!

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Christina are you still in a Christmas tub? Slightly hard to see from the photos- and how did you do with live plants? Any you suggest when I'm ready to take that jump?

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Christinaland128 do you have a humidifier inside your tank? I can see something on your old setup (looks like a black plunger!) and I can see the mist on your new setup. Let me know!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Christinaland128 do you have a humidifier inside your tank? I can see something on your old setup (looks like a black plunger!) and I can see the mist on your new setup. Let me know!

If you put the @ sign before their name it will alert them or hit the reply and it will quote them, also sending them an alert

@christinaland128

That should help you

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
If you have your setup enclosed properly there really is no need for a humidifier. Humidity will be created by the trapped evaporation of water from your moist substrate inside the contained enclosure.
I don't like humidifiers because i feel like they operate unnaturally in a sense. When they are on the air is very very damp, which is not especially great. When they are off for a while the air drys out significantly and the humid air dissapates, also not especially great.
This is what i use for my baby redfoot

And these are christmas tubs i use for my marginated tortoises.

I don't have a humidifier in any of them and at the moment they all have humidity into the high 90s.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@Alexio That makes sense. I really don't want dampness in the air in our living room. I do however want to see in to the tortoise habitat. I know that glass is not a good choice because they can hurt their beaks trying to get out. I was thinking of a wooden table top with a plexiglass top which is why I worry about humidity levels. Do you know if the plexiglass does a sufficient job retaining the moisture?

Thanks for your help!

Meg

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
@Alexio That makes sense. I really don't want dampness in the air in our living room. I do however want to see in to the tortoise habitat. I know that glass is not a good choice because they can hurt their beaks trying to get out. I was thinking of a wooden table top with a plexiglass top which is why I worry about humidity levels. Do you know if the plexiglass does a sufficient job retaining the moisture?

Thanks for your help!

Meg

Plexiglass does a good job of retaining humidity. I have tried plexiglass on the top to cover an open wooden enclosure and i really didn't like it. I like the plexiglass on the front personally with a wooden top.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My baby RF nursery has been 40 gal breeder tank, which has worked GREAT for me. I never saw my baby RFs try going through the glass. When they were tiny there was plenty of room for them, they had plenty of plants, little hills to climb, caves to explore, and now the still sleep in there at night. None of those enrichments are there anymore due to them bulldozing everything same day I put it in but they are so familiar with that nursery bedroom and never try to get out. The plastic cages I was referring to in my prior post are especially designed for reptiles. I think I saw one as big as 8' long. From the side they look like fish tank with a glass or plexiglass front window. This is something that you would need to put against the wall on some sort of a stand. It would work great but it can be pricey. I think there are also place you can find on line that will make you those to order where you can call the shots with the dimensions. Another option is of course what you have mentioned: big tort table with covered top, that will take quite a bit of your house real estate, but if you have plenty of that, maybe even designate a one whole room? There are members here who do that. It all depends on what you have at your disposal. Whichever way you go, there will be people here willing to offer guidance along the way

Last edited:

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Christina are you still in a Christmas tub? Slightly hard to see from the photos- and how did you do with live plants? Any you suggest when I'm ready to take that jump?
Nooooo the Christmas bin was only a sufficient amount of space for the first year. They grew fast! I really wish I'd jumped straight to the 4X4 enclosure. However, it was a nice starter setup. Yes I grew things inside as long as the plants were not directly under heat. :)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Yes, I made a homemade fogger using a Crane humidifier, in my opinion the best. Sawed off the top a little and inserted vinyl tubing. Works beautifully.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491525394.268986.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491525428.737450.jpg you can adjust the mist to heavy or light. I just love it. I got the humidifier from target for like $40. Great investment. If you overfill the bottom it won't work well so be sure to fill it properly and it will last for 2-3 years on nonstop. Great product.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Yes, I made a homemade fogger using a Crane humidifier, in my opinion the best. Sawed off the top a little and inserted vinyl tubing. Works beautifully.View attachment 204214View attachment 204215 you can adjust the mist to heavy or light. I just love it. I got the humidifier from target for like $40. Great investment. If you overfill the bottom it won't work well so be sure to fill it properly and it will last for 2-3 years on nonstop. Great product.
@christinaland128 how did you attach your uvb and heat lamps on your first christmas bin? I have purchased my first cherry head and she will be coming home in a week or two. Debating between a large reptile tank that I have or ordering a bin.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Plexiglass does a good job of retaining humidity. I have tried plexiglass on the top to cover an open wooden enclosure and i really didn't like it. I like the plexiglass on the front personally with a wooden top.

@Alexio that looks great! What type of torts do you have? They don't bump their noses against the glass? I heard that this was a problem with torts.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
My baby RF nursery has been 40 gal breeder tank, which has worked GREAT for me. I never saw my baby RFs try going through the glass. When they were tiny there was plenty of room for them, they had plenty of plants, little hills to climb, caves to explore, and now the still sleep in there at night. None of those enrichments are there anymore due to them bulldozing everything same day I put it in but they are so familiar with that nursery bedroom and never try to get out. The plastic cages I was referring to in my prior post are especially designed for reptiles. I think I saw one as big as 8' long. From the side they look like fish tank with a glass or plexiglass front window. This is something that you would need to put against the wall on some sort of a stand. It would work great but it can be pricey. I think there are also place you can find on line that will make you those to order where you can call the shots with the dimensions. Another option is of course what you have mentioned: big tort table with covered top, that will take quite a bit of your house real estate, but if you have plenty of that, maybe even designate a one whole room? There are members here who do that. It all depends on what you have at your disposal. Whichever way you go, there will be people here willing to offer guidance along the way

@Pearly I have about an 8' long by 3' wide area to work with. I do have a few 20-40 gallon tanks lying around (we are fish and lizard people too!). Do you think if I get a

@Pearly I do have a few 20-40 gallon tanks lying around (we are fish and lizard people too). Do you think an aquarium would be OK or should I invest in a tote/bin? Just need something for a few months while I build the table. I have about a 8' long x 3' wide area to work with for the table!