Pothos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I've had mixed answers on whether or not pothos is a poisonous plant.Any response would be great.Also most grass seed says"not to be used for livestock feed" is this safe for torts once the grass has grown? Thank you...............Shaun

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Shaun,

You can buy grass seed mixes specifically for tort's online at Carolina Pet Supply; sometimes they have spinless cacti pads too, which is a nice treat.

I've heard that pothos are poisonous & so I have never used them in my torties enclosures, whether inside or outdoors. That said, however, I cannot 'testify' as to whether such is true or not, so I just avoid it all together.

Hope this helps,
Purpod

M

Maggie Cummings

Everything that I have read says that pothos is indeed toxic...But you have to ingest it in large quantities...how large I couldn't find...The milk burns your mouth.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
My RF has been around pothos for a long time. Never gotten sick. In fact, I've noticed that my RF won't eat plants other than those that are supposedly edible to them. (not that I would have let them, just watched when she roamed around the summer garden)

Also, pothos is a hanging plant. so just hang it out of their reach. water it... and tada you have greater humidity

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure about the jungles of South America, but pathos grows wild in the jungles of Southeast Asia and tortoises native there eat it with no problems.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.