Possible vent problems?

EmpressLorLor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I was giving my tortoise (m. emys phayrei) his weigh-in and routine look-over when I noticed his vent was puffy and poked out. I've never seen this before and as soon as I tried to move him into better lighting, it retracted. I don't know if I'm overreacting or if I should see a vet. I immediately assume the worst so my mind jumped to prolapsed penis and kidney stones, but I don't want to panic for nothing.
The top two pictures are of it retracted and the bottom two are what concerned me. 16667508_10210923407175514_863905808_o.jpg

Background on him:
He's eating a varied, rotating diet of spring mix (without spinach), squash, mushrooms,turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, I grow wheat and barley grasses for him, fruit for treats, carrot shavings occasionally, collards, dandelion when available. He has access to a water dish and I find him soaking himself regularly so I don't force soak unless I see he hasn't been soaking himself. Humidity levels are good and he's got access to a drier and more humid side. He's got UVB and I give him calcium supplements at intervals in addition to leaving a cuttle bone in his terrarium. Barely 4 years old, active and curious. Still eating and moving around like normal. Substrate of bark, soil, and sphagnum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's probably just reaching sexual maturity and his penis was starting to come out. When they get to this time of life, they put the penis out quite often until they get used to having that equipment.

EmpressLorLor

5 Year Member
South Carolina
That was another thing that I considered but four felt so young. :oops:
Thanks for the response. Now I can stop worrying.