Possible shell rot

Yurtle

5 Year Member
Hello, my yearling rescue box turtle has a had a small discolored spot on his shell for several weeks now, I tried treating it with an anti-fungal, but got no results. I'm starting to think it's just a mineral deposit although I can't tell for sure. I was keeping him on moist eco-earth when he first developed it, but then switched to repti-bark upon noticing it, in hopes it would be less soggy than the eco earth, but still retain some humidity. Any advice as to it being shell rot or not and if so how to better treat it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
e354e8bd38f6937834d55eec2023e426.jpg
473dfa0378a9880071fde0a55f8b7f0b.jpg

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That does not look like shell rot. That looks like an abrasion - scraped scute. No problem at all.

Shell rot is under the scute and usually appears as a spot with better defined edges. As it gets larger it will have a cheesy, softer center that is the active rot.

Yours does not look like that at all. Just watch a be sure it does not change in appearance. Is there something in the enclosure the turtle scrapes up against that could scratch the shell?

Yurtle

5 Year Member
Is there something in the enclosure the turtle scrapes up against that could scratch the shell?

This appeared back when I had him in the 10 gallon, the only thing in there was a large wooden hidden and a saucer water bowl. So I suppose it could have been the hide, its gone now though, so hopefully this won't happen again. Will the scute heal, or look discolored forever?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
This appeared back when I had him in the 10 gallon, the only thing in there was a large wooden hidden and a saucer water bowl. So I suppose it could have been the hide, its gone now though, so hopefully this won't happen again. Will the scute heal, or look discolored forever?
Keratin once gone does not grow back but there will be a lot of new growth coming in as this little baby grows and things will even out and look more uniform overtime. Give her good calcium rich diet and she'll be fine