Possible Blockage?

Cypress_Savannah

Hi guys! I'm newer to tortoise care and I just got a cute Russian from some people who were selling her. Sadly I don't think they knew what they were doing. I've been working on improving her life a bit and in the process have been trying out different substrates. I just tried cypress mulch mixed with some coconut fiber but she hasn't pooped in a while and is dragging her back legs so I'm worried she's eaten some of it. I've changed it out to just the coconut so she won't eat any more but does anyone have suggestions for helping her pass the blockage?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You may need to see a vet, but you can try mineral oil. Squirt a bit of mineral oil up inside the cloaca. You say she won't eat, but if you can get her to eat a bit of, say, romaine, you can coat a leaf of romaine with mineral oil then roll it up tight and feed it to her end for end. Don't ever squirt mineral oil in a tortoise's mouth because they can't feel it and they might breathe it into their lungs, but if you can get her to eat it spread on something, that would be great. The mineral oil coats everything in the tract helping it to slip out.

Also, you can put the tortoise into a very large tub of water and make it deep enough to be uncomfortable. The scrambling around trying to get out usually always makes them poop - A LOT!!!