Poor quality Stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi all,

As a few of you know, I recently purchased a new redfoot during Petco's 50% off. Looking back, I probably should've passed, but he was just too cute. He had a few issues when I first got him... they included eyes that were sorta glued closed, some very minor shell rot, and after we left, we noticed his stool was light brown in color and pellet shaped (my first Tortoise Darwin is known for his nice dark greenish poops, the "good poop" or so I'm told).

It's been almost 4 days now and I can happily report that with some increased heat, humidity, and twice a day warm soaks, he can now mostly open his eyes by himself (I'm assuming he was dehydrated). Furthermore, his shell rot is being treated with povidone iodine and should heal quickly.

But I'm worried about his stool. During his soaks, he often defecates and the stools are loose and have undigested bits in them. Today, it was slightly more "together" but still pretty loose. I've switched to feeding him some high fiber food (mazuri, mushrooms, squash, etc). When should my slight panic from stress issues switch to real panic from issues that require vet action?

M

Maggie Cummings

He's pooping today what he ate 2 weeks ago. So until he starts pooping your food i wouldn't worry too much. Just continue the high fiber food...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I agree with Maggie, just wanted to add that if your tort continues to have loose stools with a lot of undigested matter, could be parasites. Give it some more time and keep it in quarantine!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes... definitely keeping him in quarantine. They're separated by 2 floors and I try not to handle my first tort after starting my round of new tort care.

I'm hoping the issues are stress/husbandry related. The cage at Petco was cool (between 65-70 degrees) and the only thing providing heat was a heat mat that the larger redfoot was hogging.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Mgridgaway said:
Yes... definitely keeping him in quarantine. They're separated by 2 floors and I try not to handle my first tort after starting my round of new tort care.

I'm hoping the issues are stress/husbandry related. The cage at Petco was cool (between 65-70 degrees) and the only thing providing heat was a heat mat that the larger redfoot was hogging.

I agree, no need to panic yet. I'd give it some time.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Just a quick update today. I feel like Harper is doing much better. He can now open his eyes without any assistance, his shell rot is disappearing, and today his stool, while still loose, was more together and didn't look like it had too many undigested bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.