Please help with identification

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Does anyone know what type of tortoise/turtle this is? He/she is wild and was laying eggs in a friends yard. Ft Lauderdale area. Also, any idea on gestation length?

Thanks
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503078534.209688.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503078547.548281.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
If it was laying eggs, it is pretty safe to say it is a female. It is very probably what is called a Stinkpot (Sternotherus odoratus), though it could also be an Eastern Mud Turtle or Florida Mud Turtle. They are not too friendly as a rule and have fairly long necks. Stinkpots have yellow or light stripes on the sides of their heads and necks, the necks of other two are more unicolored.

Eggs will probably hatch in 60-75 days; of course this depends a lot on you incubation temperatures. I would say 80 degrees is plenty warm for those eggs, even a bit lower is fine, too.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pretty sure that is a stinkpot or common musk. Sternotherus odoratus Although it is difficult without seeing the head and neck and plastron, by the way the first vertebral extends into the second vertebral it would certainly indicate a stinkpot. A mud turtle would have more of an even seam between the two scutes.

My musk turtles lay eggs in my pond land area, and I normally don't find those nests. The young will hatch with great variation in incubation times as it depends a lot on the place the female chose. More shaded area - up to a month longer. More open sun with consistently warmer temps - can be 50 days.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
If it was laying eggs, it is pretty safe to say it is a female. It is very probably what is called a Stinkpot (Sternotherus odoratus), though it could also be an Eastern Mud Turtle or Florida Mud Turtle. They are not too friendly as a rule and have fairly long necks. Stinkpots have yellow or light stripes on the sides of their heads and necks, the necks of other two are more unicolored.

Eggs will probably hatch in 60-75 days; of course this depends a lot on you incubation temperatures. I would say 80 degrees is plenty warm for those eggs, even a bit lower is fine, too.
Hey Zovick....you should be sitting here with me at the Daytona Hilton bar right Now!
Expo weekend.

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
Thank you both for the assistance. I asked if she saw it's neck and I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

For your next identification puzzle... any idea if the succulent or its fruit is edible?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503091516.181411.jpg

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
Thanks. That makes sense, it does look like a bud.