please help (tortoise not active)

Raemillsy

I've had my russian tortoise a week, he hasn't eaten anything, as far as I am aware he hasn't pooped, etc and all he does is bury himself in his dark area and sleeps. He has a basking light and uv light, the temp says 30°c and his dark area is 20°c. I have the lights on for 14hours minimum. I've been taking him out of the dark area and putting him under the lights, he stays there for a bit but then walks back to the dark area and digs to sleep. I don't know what else to do, really worried for him. Anything else I can do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of bulbs? Do you soak him? Does he have water? I do temps in Fahrenheit so your basking temp needs to equal 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit. What is the diet, substrate, post a pic of the enclosure. Then, if everything is okay, give him some time to adjust to his new home, but soak him in warm water daily for 20-30 minutes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Is he a hatchling, a baby or older ?
The younger the tortoise the more they seem to sleep.
It is normal for them to hide for the first few days or longer in a new environment until they figure out they're not intruding on another torts' territory, that it's predator free and you are not going to harm them.
As long as your temps, bulbs and general set up are right, things should improve given time.

Raemillsy

He was found in a park, so not sure of his age but the person guessed around 8years of age, not sure how they got that age.
I am not sure if it is a coil light, it is under a black shade and I only got it on Thursday from a breeder :S
Is it okay to take him out and put him under the light or shall I just bath him and put him back where he prefers to be?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You need to check the bulb.
Compact or coiled bulbs can harm a tortoises eyes, blind it or kill it,or they may not produce enough UVB.
If it looks like
images

or like
images

It's probably bad.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How big is your enclosure?
The more room he has the more he will move.
Plants for him to hide under will make him feel more secure, as will a hide where he can go.
If you can post pics of his enclosure people will be able to help you make your tort happy and keep him healthy.

Did anyone try to find his owner?

Raemillsy

The people who found him tried to but had no luck. Where can I get a bulb that isn't coiled or compact? The breeder gave me a comapct one :/ thought they would have known better. It is quite small the tortoise table, we are looking into getting another one though. What plants do you suggest? I know fake ones they can try and eat

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The people who found him tried to but had no luck. Where can I get a bulb that isn't coiled or compact? The breeder gave me a comapct one :/ thought they would have known better. It is quite small the tortoise table, we are looking into getting another one though. What plants do you suggest? I know fake ones they can try and eat
Even my vet sells them.
The evidence against their use is pretty recent, but very real.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Use an mvb (mercury vapour bulb) which has light, heat and uvb in one, or a strip uvb light for which you'll also need a basking light.
You can get them at most good pet shops or on line at amazon etc.
Spider plants are good.