Please help! Shell rot or normal wear?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
So I got Alice a year ago at Petco, and her plastron has always been a little rough and grooved. I had treated a turtle with shell rot before, and it doesn't really look that that so I hadn't been too worried. But now I've noticed that there is some white on the plastron and a bubble like pattern, but not raised like bubbles. Her plastron is not soft at all. 20170506_140131.jpg 20170506_140146.jpg She has a vet appointment, but if this is normal I don't want to be an alarmist and take her in.

Care as follows: substrate cypress mulch and coco coir, temp 85, humidity 70-80%, weekly soaking, diet mixed greens / fruits / pellet food, uvb from outside time. Eating and pooping normal.

Please advise! I'm on limited funds, so taking her on means cutting back on my grocery budget for the month.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The little circles are normal and I think they are a mystery to everyone as to why they happen, but the white spots MAY be shell rot. No need for a vet if she is acting normal otherwise. I would just rub some athletes foot cream on it for a while and treat at home. No harm done if it isn't shell rot.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Edit: the white patches are on the lower scutes only, the other white in the photo is glare from the sun. The second photo shows the 'bubbly' pattern - not sure how else to describe it.

The grooves have been pitted and kind of ragged the entire time I have had her, but the white patches are new and I'm not sure about the weird pattern - it may have always been there, it is not noticeable unless you look really closely.

Maybe other redfoot owners can share some plastron pics so I can compare - my other redfoot does not have any white or the odd pattern, so it makes me even more worried about Alice. :(

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Thanks y'all for the replies, I really appreciate it. I will do as suggested

visco

5 Year Member
Taiwan
I have found (or suspect) the 'bubbles' or 'white squiggly circles' were part of the process in a growth spurt as this has been the case with my torts. I did get a bit panicky when I first saw it but after a bit of growth and usual soaks it disappears as soon as it seemed to develop.