PLEASE HELP! MY MUM FED PRIMROSE TO MY TORT. IS IT SAFE?

Hi, my mum thought she had read that primrose was safe to feed my horsfield tortoise. We tried her on it and she ate one flower. We don't know if it was safe. Is there anything we can do to weaken the effect?

Thanks.
(We have a pic of the primrose)

upload_2016-3-28_12-32-13.jpeg

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
It is not safe, not sure if any torts ate it, the list just mention people being allergic and saying it is not a suitable food for them. Just keep an eye on them and look for excessive drooling or vomiting or unusual poop. Offer them water and grasses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess it depends upon which site you read. I looked it up on Google and was told, "Both flowers and leaves are edible, the flavour ranging between mild lettuce and more bitter salad greens. The leaves can also be used for tea, and the young flowers can be made into primrose wine."

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi, my mum thought she had read that primrose was safe to feed my horsfield tortoise. We tried her on it and she ate one flower. We don't know if it was safe. Is there anything we can do to weaken the effect?

Thanks.

View attachment 168709
Hi there and welcome. One flower is not going to kill your tort. I've caught some of mine eating toxic plants before. No harm was done. Varied diet is the key. If this one flower is a small part of your torts diet, it will be OK I reckon. Of course as was suggested, keep an eye on her.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My tortoises eat plants that they shouldn't when they roam the yard. It has never hurt them, thankfully. I think that it's because not enough was ingested to do any serious harm and they are otherwise very healthy.
I'll bet that your tortoise will be alright.

Thank you everybody! She has eaten well since and she is acting fine. We will keep an eye on her and we think she will be OK. We really appreciate all your help.

Thanks!!! :tort::):<3::tort::):<3::tort::):<3::tort:

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
The issue with toxic plants and anything toxic really, one or two might not hurt you or your pet. But keep eating those 1 or 2 or even more every day or even every other 3rd or 5th day the levels start to rise in the body and then it becomes toxic.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Thanks.

View attachment 168709

Primrose is perfectly edible. Edible for you as well. It is actually very tasty...it has some medicinal use as well as old folk stories of its uses....

Kori5

My tortoise ate buttercups which are known to be toxic and nothing happened. Don't worry :).