Please help me sex my sulcata :)

Jany

Hello! So I was told by the person that found and gave us our sulcata that they thought it was a male sulcata. But looking at it I am not sure. And the person we got it from didn't really have much knowledge of tortoises either. Here are some pics, please help me out. Thanks! :)

20170426_175550.jpg 20170426_175547.jpg 20170426_175544.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I don't see male traits yet, but younger tortoises are hard to reliably sex as they all look female until they develop.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Small gular, inward-pointing anal scutes, small tail. . . female!!!

Jany

Thank you all very much for your replies!! :) We want to look to adopt a rescue, but we really wanted to know what sex this one is so we can get the couple. First time we have a tortoise, and I have always liked reptiles. We are very happy with it! <3

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Here this might help you . View attachment 205902
Just as a point of reference - this diagram was made for and applies to Testudo tortoises. Most other tortoises do not follow this pattern.

For sulcatas, the first sign will be if a male decides to "show itself" or "flash". Then you know you have a male before any secondary sexual characteristics develop. We say all young sulcatas look female, so what starts to change if there is no flashing? The male will start to develop a longer tail. The plastron will become visibly concave, and the gulars start to grow and enlarge forward. The anal scutes will begin flaring outward with the tips starting to point outward and the anterior edge of the anal scutes becoming more flattened.

You know you have a female when she reaches about 16" and has not developed any of the above characteristics. Sometimes the female characteristics start to show, and that is mainly with the anal scutes. The gular remains small, the tail remains small, but the anal scute starts to show a definite semi-circle starting to develop. The edges of the anal scutes start pointing inward, and the anterior edge starts forming an inward semi-circle. This tortoise above, has that classic anal scute shape pretty well developed.

Normally, a male will start to develop the secondary characteristics at anywhere from 12 - 16". A female, about 14-16". If I have one that Shows no secondary characteristics that is 16" - I will then assume it a female. Some slow-growing sulcatas show at smaller sizes. So age does matter too.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Thank you! We absolutely love having it, and look forward to continue taking great care of it. :)
well you have found the best resource on the internet to help you keep taking good care of it. And the best resource for hooking up with a reptile vet in your area. This forum is totally awesome!