Please help me identify this :(

glitch4200

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW suburbs of Chicago
So about 20 minutes ago my russian tortoise pooped something really odd and I believe there is some blood too. It's not the normal calcium deposit I believe he rids every so often. I'm sorry it's kinda graphic but I am really confused. I can explain my routine and feeding but I have never seen this much before and the way that it is..it's like almost fleshy
. this is what I am talking about

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I believe you put too much calcium. Just a light sprinkle 2-3 times a week :) and did you feed dandelion recently?

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I have never had this issue though and I have been feeding for about a 3 months with a variation of escarole and endive and any other tortoise friendly store bought item. Obviously the bag is to supplement things he needs

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Is this the herbal hay from tortoise supply?

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Yes and I only use calcium 1 to 2 times a week it has d3 cuz he doesn't get out into the sun that often unfortunately..

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
No I have not fed him dandelion store bought leaves recently although the herbal mix does I believe and I sprinkle a little on his food each day

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what it is, but I'd be so curious to find out that I'd preserve it in alcohol and take it to the vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eating dandelion COLORS the urine and urates, but eating dandelion does NOT make a semi-solid-looking mass like what is in this picture. This has nothing to do with dandelion.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I didn't see this until I got home last night and it was under the heat lamp and it lost 90 percent of its bulk as it dried. And it almost looks like calcium but it's got a red hue to it

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
He has been chillen in the heated area all day , not to unusual but he to me he seems like he might be sick. I am very energy oriented and I sense something a miss here.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Clear nostril , no fluid, not hiding at all . Eyes seem clear. I don't know I am in daddy mode. He's my little guy I love him to death.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'd recommend sending this sample to get a histopath done it. Looks like intestines pieces. These can be seen with nasty forms of coccidia literally eating the inside of the liver, kidneys, and colon out. A fecal should be done and PCR analysis of your tortoises cloaca. Keep in mind that this will cost you a couple hundred dollars to get done.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Looks like urate coated in intestinal mucous. Perhaps you want to suspend that mix you're feeding him until you've consulted with a vet.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES