Please can you tell me how old my Tortoise Eric is?

Charmo

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield- UK
Hello I have a tortoise called Eric, when I got him I was told he was 18months old and I just want to see if you think this is correct?
He is 5.5cm (2inches) in length and weighs 40g, how old do you think he is?
( I can post pictures if that helps?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He would be on the small side for 18 months, but certainly possible. If he has been fed lightly, kept at the cooler end of the temperature range, soaked infrequently, and kept in low humidity, his small size would make sense. Does any of that sound right?

Here is some care info for these guys:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Charmo

Sheffield- UK
I have the correct lighting now (heat bulb and a UVB/UVA bulb), he is soaked 3-4 times a week and a feed him a selection of weeds 5 day out of 7. The humidity in his indoor enclosure (he is inside as I live in the UK and it is winter and so too cold for him to go outside right now) is usually around 40% is this too low? His substrate is a 50/50 mix of sand and topsoil but the sand has calcium in (the white bits), when I put fresh in I am not going to use this sand again, am thinking I will use ordinary play sand and sterile topsoil is this better?

abclements

5 Year Member
I know very little about Russians, (I'm a red foot guy) but sand in general isn't the best substrate. It's non-digestible and causes issues like impactions once eaten in all tortoises. I use coco coir and I love it. Some will say that it gets dirt everywhere, but that seems natural to me lol

Charmo

Sheffield- UK
I have read the care sheet but I am unsure how to make a humid hide for him have you any good ideas? At the minute he lives in a tortoise table where I spray the soil/sand substrate with hot water everyday do you think this is enough?
:)

yillt

He does look abit small for 18 months but who knows. To be honest, it doesn't really make any difference. But I it is nice to know. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
ah that last picture makes me want to scoop him up and steal him!!! <3 I have an adult Russian, acquired as an adult so I have no experience with the adorableness of little ones, or their size, but just wanted to pop in and say how cute he is.

I go with the others on the sand, its not too great, I ended up sparking a huge debate a while ago about sand and from then learned how big a deal it was to tort owners...
I literally just use dirt from my yard and eco-earth, eco earth holds the moisture and the dirt keeps it from being too moist, its been good for me, messy but i'm sure you already experience that anyways.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I am using an acardia 7% UVB/UVA light and I have a 100 watt heat lamp.
How hot does your 100w make it in there?
Russians need 85' to digest, but over low 90s and they start trying to get somewhere cooler :D

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
How hot does your 100w make it in there?
Russians need 85' to digest, but over low 90s and they start trying to get somewhere cooler :D

Actually, RTs do best with the basking temp immediately under the light being 95ish degrees F. 85 wouldn't be warm enough.

@Charmo - 36 degrees C is about perfect. :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Actually, RTs do best with the basking temp immediately under the light being 95ish degrees F. 85 wouldn't be warm enough.
:D 85 is the very minimum...thank you! I've just discovered that mine hides in temps over 90.
I always knew he was weird... :p