Please advise (dried foods at healthfood store)

itsonlyme

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
Hello all,
I am retired and live in Spain.
I have found a replacement for fresh wild greens in my local healthfood shop.
They sell packets of dried dandelion and nettles for making a rerfeshing cup of tea after to adding a teaspoon of honey.
I soaked some (no honey), drain and let dry for a while. Hey presto they enjoyed it. Here in Spain I can normally get fresh greens as I walk the hills and mountains but this year no rain and dried up flora.
If you can think of anything to stop me feeding this to my Tortoises, please contact.
By the way, the two ingredients are not together they are sold separately.
Regards
Gordon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gordon, and welcome to the Forum!

I see no reason to not feed those items, however, it's not enough variety. You still need to find more types. In the produce section of the store, look for endive, escarole, turnip greens, etc. - any dark, leafy greens.

What species is your tortoise?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Gordon, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum from another expat with dried up flora. :)
I visit Spain every three months or so to stock up on tortoise things as well as bacon and sausages!
You have a Greek tortoise ?

itsonlyme

Spain
Hello, Gordon, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum from another expat with dried up flora. :)
I visit Spain every three months or so to stock up on tortoise things as well as bacon and sausages!
Hello Adam,
Thank you fpr your reply.
I live in a place called Planes del Rei, Tarragona about 130km south of Barcelona and 5km from the Med. I have a mature Hermans female and a Young Hermanns about 1year old and a Graeca about 2 years old. Before I get emails about mixing different species, the adult is kept separate from the two youngsters but twice a day we all go for a walk around the garden where they go there own way.
Apart from the dandelion and nettle I also collect dandelion and sow thistle seedin the spring and soak them until they sprout. At the momento I have been unsucessful in growing them on out of season. Other fresh leaves that are still available are honeysuckle, I feed three times a day Wild leaves in the morning, tortoise packaged food lunchtimes and dark Green salad and veg in the evening with the odd tomato, grape or strawberry.
Please keep in touch.
Best regards
Gordon

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello Adam,
Thank you fpr your reply.
I live in a place called Planes del Rei, Tarragona about 130km south of Barcelona and 5km from the Med. I have a mature Hermans female and a Young Hermanns about 1year old and a Graeca about 2 years old. Before I get emails about mixing different species, the adult is kept separate from the two youngsters but twice a day we all go for a walk around the garden where they go there own way.
Apart from the dandelion and nettle I also collect dandelion and sow thistle seedin the spring and soak them until they sprout. At the momento I have been unsucessful in growing them on out of season. Other fresh leaves that are still available are honeysuckle, I feed three times a day Wild leaves in the morning, tortoise packaged food lunchtimes and dark Green salad and veg in the evening with the odd tomato, grape or strawberry.
Please keep in touch.
Best regards
Gordon
Hi, Gordon.
I live in Fes medina but visit the Costa del Sol often, I've been to Barcelona and Girona and elsewhere but not to Tarragona.
We have the native T. graeca here, three subspecies, but i really like Hermann's.
Hmmm, I'll have to give honeysuckle a try, thanks, but fruit I don't feed, much that they love it! :rolleyes:
I am also not very successful at out of season growing. Am trying again.
What's the opposite of green fingers ? Purple fingers. yeah.

itsonlyme

Spain
Hi, Gordon.
I live in Fes medina but visit the Costa del Sol often, I've been to Barcelona and Girona and elsewhere but not to Tarragona.
We have the native T. graeca here, three subspecies, but i really like Hermann's.
Hmmm, I'll have to give honeysuckle a try, thanks, but fruit I don't feed, much that they love it! :rolleyes:
I am also not very successful at out of season growing. Am trying again.
What's the opposite of green fingers ? Purple fingers. yeah.
Hello Adam,
I was walking my tortoises last night around the garden. When the adult hermanns stopped by a fallen fig.
Well she ate the lot and looked for more.
I have checked on the Internet and it seems to say that they are good for tortoises.
I have emailed you just incase you are not aware for I am sure you must have figs in your part of the world.
Best wishes
Gordon

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

daniellenc

Maryland
You can also mix in grocery store greens for variety when weeds are lacking outdoors