Playground sand?

Gopherus Guy

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, California
I've used regular playground sand for the interior of my Desert Tortoise den. He seems to like it. Is plain ol' sand not a good thing to use? It does get on his food occasionally. I'll sometimes wet it firm in there. Any suggestions if not the sand?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469214493.489795.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sand should never be used in a tortoise enclosure.

Outdoors, I just use the native dirt that is there.

Gopherus Guy

San Diego, California
Sand should never be used in a tortoise enclosure.

Outdoors, I just use the native dirt that is there.
My backyard is mostly rocks with planting 'islands'. His hut was built on the sand but he has dug out below-grade towards the back of his hut, that is just clay dirt. He also has made a place to hangout under my Aloes, which are in the islands with sand too. He roams freely in my backyard. Use peat moss inside his hut? He is a Desert Tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No.
the soil in your yard is probably fine.
Just don't ad that play sand, silica sand or any of the fine sand that stores sell.
Garden soil, etc. would be great. It's what I've used. My soil is sandy and full of rocks and coral. Mostly because my neighborhood was a swamp 50 years ago.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sand and dirt are not the same. So if your yard is actually sand, like beach sand, play sand and not dirt, then you should take some caution on feeding your tort. Like, making a stone patio to feed him on. Also growing grazing foods for him in an area you can add dirt over the sand. If your yard is actually dirt, I would still try to feed him so he's not having to eat a mouthful of dirt, but it's not as big a problem as sand.

Gopherus Guy

San Diego, California
Sand and dirt are not the same. So if your yard is actually sand, like beach sand, play sand and not dirt, then you should take some caution on feeding your tort. Like, making a stone patio to feed him on. Also growing grazing foods for him in an area you can add dirt over the sand. If your yard is actually dirt, I would still try to feed him so he's not having to eat a mouthful of dirt, but it's not as big a problem as sand.
The sand is where he sleeps. He eats off a saucer or rocks not on sand.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you ever put a thermometer in his shelter there and checked temps on a hot day? I'm curious.