Plastron discoloration. Need help identifying please.

Turtlesfromcolo

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Is the white discoloration on the shell located on the high points of the overall shell itself? Or in others words, is the white color on the part of the shell that makes the most contact with whatever surface the box turtle is resting on?
This is only on the bottom. It's not any where else on the shell. If that's what you are asking.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
This usually happens when the enclosure is too dry and it's doesn't allow the scutes to shed properly, that new layer begins to separate from the old and a very thin layer of fluid forms between the two layers. If the enclosure is too dry or not humid enough this fluid layer will not form properly.
Ok so from what I've gathered it's normal and not a sign of a health or shell issue? I don't feel like they are kept too dry. Humidity stays 65/70% plus soaks every other day. Their enclosure is heavily planted and has Leaf litter and moss under logs n hides. The other two don't have it. This one in mention is the runt of the clutch. It's half the size of the other two. I did upload a pic of their indoor enclosure. Sorry I'm new at responding to so many responses. Thank you for all the good information and help.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
I keep their enclosures humidity 65/70 % plus 2x a day I mist it down. They also soak every other day, plus all of them regularly use their water dish in their enclosure. Here's their indoor enclosure. I took the lid off for the picture. It's enclosed except for a square on top that's screened for their lights. (I dumped water after pic lol They get fresh water daily)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Ok so from what I've gathered it's normal and not a sign of a health or shell issue? I don't feel like they are kept too dry. Humidity stays 65/70% plus soaks every other day. Their enclosure is heavily planted and has Leaf litter and moss under logs n hides. The other two don't have it. This one in mention is the runt of the clutch. It's half the size of the other two. I did upload a pic of their indoor enclosure. Sorry I'm new at responding to so many responses. Thank you for all the good information and help.

It looks and sounds your like your enclosure is more than adequate to provide the required humidity for an ornate hatchling, with microclimates considered. I don't keep ornates, but I know they require a bit less humidity than eastern box turtles. Perhaps we should consider another option. I experienced something similar six years ago with my runt eastern box turtle hatchling, I saw a whitish coloring on an eastern box turtle this hatchlings top shell similar to what you have with your ornate, and sought to remove it. I used antibacterial liquid hand soap (because that was conveniently available next to the sink) and a soft bristled toothbrush to clean the shell. It took a few days of application, but the white color went away. I'm not suggesting that I can diagnose what you have is bacterial, fungal or something of a natural process, but this worked for me. It may have been an environmentally derived condition after all, or a result of keratin growth or shell degradation but in my instance it worked.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I like what Pjay has suggested and believe it's worth trying.

I don't believe this is anything at all to worry about, everything looks great with the enclosure. It's just something going on with new growth inside the new growth rings that just appear dried out.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
It looks and sounds your like your enclosure is more than adequate to provide the required humidity for an ornate hatchling, with microclimates considered. I don't keep ornates, but I know they require a bit less humidity than eastern box turtles. Perhaps we should consider another option. I experienced something similar six years ago with my runt eastern box turtle hatchling, I saw a whitish coloring on an eastern box turtle this hatchlings top shell similar to what you have with your ornate, and sought to remove it. I used antibacterial liquid hand soap (because that was conveniently available next to the sink) and a soft bristled toothbrush to clean the shell. It took a few days of application, but the white color went away. I'm not suggesting that I can diagnose what you have is bacterial, fungal or something of a natural process, but this worked for me. It may have been an environmentally derived condition after all, or a result of keratin growth or shell degradation but in my instance it worked.
Thanks! I'll give it a try and see.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in other threads. Till what age should I regularly soak my yearlings till? I have 3 adult ornates that live outside year round and I only soak them after Coming up from hibernation and On really hot days.(They hate it) They have their own pond that they frequently use daily. Just curious what others recommended on this.?

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in other threads. Till what age should I regularly soak my yearlings till? I have 3 adult ornates that live outside year round and I only soak them after Coming up from hibernation and On really hot days. (They hate it) Just curious what others recommended on this.?
I only soak mine 3 times a week, I catch them soaking themselves pretty often so I don't worry about it much.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
I only soak mine 3 times a week, I catch them soaking themselves pretty often so I don't worry about it much.
That's what I'm doing now for my yearlings as well. They are in their water dish daily too, so I don't worry about them keeping hydrated. But at what age do you stop the weekly soakings at? Even though Mine seem to enjoy their soaks.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's what I'm doing now for my yearlings as well. They are in their water dish daily too, so I don't worry about them keeping hydrated. But at what age do you stop the weekly soakings at? Even though Mine seem to enjoy their soaks.
I think once they start soaking themselves pretty regularly you can stop. I just do it because it's habit when I do my torts. I move my turtles outside the second summer and then it's up to them to soak. I will do a round up of all my outside turtles about once a week during the hot time of summer and soak them all.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Craig's suggestion is spot on. I also would suggest soaking your outdoor box turtles atleast 2-4 times a month. 1. Just to give them a thorough checkup with the ole eyeball test 2. I like to weigh and keep a data record on each one so its a perfect time to get them cleaned off and weighed. My yearlings I soak a couple times a week unless sick of course.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Craig's suggestion is spot on. I also would suggest soaking your outdoor box turtles atleast 2-4 times a month. 1. Just to give them a thorough checkup with the ole eyeball test 2. I like to weigh and keep a data record on each one so its a perfect time to get them cleaned off and weighed. My yearlings I soak a couple times a week unless sick of course.
Great points Eric, I agree with the weighing part too, that's a good way to figure out if a female is also Gravid.

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Ok great! Good to know. I'll up my soaks on my out door adults this summer as well. Even though they won't be too happy about it. I've never weighed them before. Last year I left my yearlings out doors in their enclosure most the summer, but I plan on keeping them out all summer this year. Permanently outside after their third winter. Thanks for the input!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
No you can't feel anything. I keep their enclosures humidity 65/70 % plus 2x a day I mist it down. They also soak every other day, plus all of them regularly use their water dish in their enclosure. Here's their indoor enclosure. I took the lid off for the picture. It's enclosed except for a square on top that's screened for their lights. (I dumped water after pic lol They get fresh water daily)

That ramp thing in the corner is a tipping hazard and those button temp/hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate. Humidity gets INSIDE the mechanism and throws off the readings. I use these...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 4