Plastron deformity

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
(I don't think it matters, but I have red foot tortoises.) My baby tort is 8 months old and has always had and still has a slightly deformed plastron. The scutes don't correctly align. I had originally thought that this would go away and that it was an egg yolk area issue. It's in that general area. Sorry, I currently have no photos. I wanted to ask around and see if this is normal...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen quite a few that the yolk sac area is not as "normal" as the rest. However, a pic is the only way we would be able to tell if it's something "normal" or not

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here he is. Fresh from some warm new mud left by the rain. See how the scutes don't line up and the margins are wide? Just me?

image_80.png image_79.png

Last edited by a moderator:

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Looks fine to me. He may have some fungi on his shell though, unless it's just the dirt, but it doesn't really look that way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not all shells are perfect. So yours is a little bit out of alignment. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
(I don't think it matters, but I have red foot tortoises.) My baby tort is 8 months old and has always had and still has a slightly deformed plastron. The scutes don't correctly align. I had originally thought that this would go away and that it was an egg yolk area issue. It's in that general area. Sorry, I currently have no photos. I wanted to ask around and see if this is normal...
HOLY COW and I though I was over thinking stuff !

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
People like things a symmetrical. If things are not symmetrical we automatically think something is wrong, it is just part of our nature. and a lot of emphasis is put on symmetry and what is "normal" here on the forum. I understand the concern.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
One of my juvenile redfoots has a full extra scute on its carapace . I just think its a unique tortoise. Doesn't bother me.

ladyengineer

My tortoise doesn't have a symmetrical shell either, he has extra scutes too.

Attachments

• 2015-02-01 21.58.02.jpg
    2015-02-01 21.58.02.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41

Turtlepete

South Florida

Yeah, I've had a few red's hatch this way. No idea what causes it but it definitely happens occasionally. Seems to typically be the anal scutes that don't line up correctly.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
People like things a symmetrical. If things are not symmetrical we automatically think something is wrong, it is just part of our nature. and a lot of emphasis is put on symmetry and what is "normal" here on the forum. I understand the concern.
Very well put ...and there is more too it than just incubating temps. There really has not been too much info other than the last 25 years of "reference" . I can assure you genetics plays a major role in the splittys......as I have countless records and side by side hatchlings with different mothers eggs - same shelf -same temps and different outcomes....or the same mother with consistent showing of this feature. I personally like the splittys as they are unique in their own way and I have yet produced two that look the same ......so hats off to the splittys and a one of kind tortoise. Of course one can expect like you have mentioned " something is wrong" .....from most "Sheepole" but that is far from the truth. When you hatch 100 + consistency for years on end and see the results ....well.......

ladyengineer

Is it male for sure?
I dunno to be honest! He's only 2 and a half, and I think he's too young to tell? I haven't committed to him being a boy or a girl, I'm leaning towards girl but as I said I think he's too young to be sure. Pegasus may turn out to be female, I'm not sure.

I personally like the splittys as they are unique in their own way and I have yet produced two that look the same ......so hats off to the splittys and a one of kind tortoise. Of course one can expect like you have mentioned " something is wrong" .....from most "Sheepole" but that is far from the truth.
I like that, there is NOTHING wrong with my baby! if anything, if he did ever get mixed up with some other torts, I'd know him immediately!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I dunno to be honest! He's only 2 and a half, and I think he's too young to tell? I haven't committed to him being a boy or a girl, I'm leaning towards girl but as I said I think he's too young to be sure. Pegasus may turn out to be female, I'm not sure.

I like that, there is NOTHING wrong with my baby! if anything, if he did ever get mixed up with some other torts, I'd know him immediately!
If it turns out to be female you can call her Peggy instead. :)