Plants

jjjes1386

Hey I was wondering if any of you guys have plants planted in your tortoises enclosure that he or she can munch on anytime?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh heck yeah! Most of us do. Russian tortoises will eat any broad-leaf plant or weed. I encourage the growth of any weeds that want to grow in my Russian yard - fillarree, clover, plantain, prickly lettuce, dandelion, etc. I also have hosta, rose of sharon, mulberry, grape, cast iron plant and many others.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi have you looked at the Enclosures thread for ideas yet? Also do a search to see if anything pops up for this topics. Are you thinking outdoor or indoor enclosure?

I think most people put tortoise friendly plants in their enclosures for the torts to hide under but are also safe if nibbled. See www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to help with safe/toxic plants. Some plant grass and weeds that are important for your torts diet either in pots or trays that can be replaced if naughty torties eat them or pull them up. Also have a look at the care sheet for your tort to see what their diet should consist of.
Store bought plants and soil must be chemical free before fed to torts.

jjjes1386

Yeah I just didn't know where I can buy those. Does home Depot carry them? I'm not really a gardener so I'm learning that side of the enclosure

axeman25

Central Michigan
Hello, I started putting potted spider plants in my torts enclosure. They love to both to hide in and snack on them. I leave them potted because I rotate them out quite often. I have 18-20 plants total in small pots, I'll put about 6 or so in at a time for my Russians to sleep under or chew to a nub and then I'll pull them out and put in another 6 while the ones that had just been 'tortoisized' recover and grow back out. Spider plants are hearty and grow quick, if you let a couple grow big enough you can clip off parts of it and start new plants to keep the rotation going. I recently grew a bunch of kale and other leafy greens from seeds and planted them in various spots throughout their outdoor enclosure. They enjoy those quite a bit as well. I'm sure there are a bunch of other plants you could use as well but I don't have any advise to offer on those. Good luck!

One other thing, make sure if you buy them that you replace the soil they come in. Most of the time there is some kind of fertilizer that can be harmful to your torts. You can buy organic soil with nothing added at home depot for under 2 bucks.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
hey guys if you want ideas for enclosures me and my dad picked up a enclose for 30 to 40 dollars it was also hand made we got wood from home depot
DSCN0229.JPG

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Hello, I started putting potted spider plants in my torts enclosure. They love to both to hide in and snack on them. I leave them potted because I rotate them out quite often. I have 18-20 plants total in small pots, I'll put about 6 or so in at a time for my Russians to sleep under or chew to a nub and then I'll pull them out and put in another 6 while the ones that had just been 'tortoisized' recover and grow back out. Spider plants are hearty and grow quick, if you let a couple grow big enough you can clip off parts of it and start new plants to keep the rotation going. I recently grew a bunch of kale and other leafy greens from seeds and planted them in various spots throughout their outdoor enclosure. They enjoy those quite a bit as well. I'm sure there are a bunch of other plants you could use as well but I don't have any advise to offer on those. Good luck!

One other thing, make sure if you buy them that you replace the soil they come in. Most of the time there is some kind of fertilizer that can be harmful to your torts. You can buy organic soil with nothing added at home depot for under 2 bucks.

can you tell me how to grow spider plants me and my mom tried but it dint work she has one big one with hundreds of babies but they never seem to grow after we root them and putt them in water

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
hey guys if you want ideas for enclosures me and my dad picked up a enclose for 30 to 40 dollars it was also hand made we got wood from home depot
View attachment 146414

Hi and welcome. have you posted an introduction yet? Sorry if I missed it.
What sort of a tort do you have? There are some great caresheets for every species which will tell you how to keep your tort happy and healthy. Also look the Enclosures thread for ideas on what you should provide and the Beginners Mistakes is also good for avoiding things that are harmful to torts.
I don't think the straw/hay is a good substrate for enclosures - it will become mouldy when damp, and it could be a fire hazard too.
Also your open enclosure will lose humidity so maybe you should possibly think about covering it.
Your tort will also need a flat shallow waterdish big and easy enough to get in and out of without the risk of tipping over and drowning. I can't really tell from your pic what your dish is like. A shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk level with substrate would do.
Have you checked your temps and humidity to make sure your tort is warm enough? From the angle of the photo it's difficult to tell if it's too high or not.
Too dry = pyramiding
Too cold + humidity = sick tort
Right temps and humidity = healthy tort.
What are you using for day and night heat?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome. have you posted an introduction yet? Sorry if I missed it.
What sort of a tort do you have? There are some great caresheets for every species which will tell you how to keep your tort happy and healthy. Also look the Enclosures thread for ideas on what you should provide and the Beginners Mistakes is also good for avoiding things that are harmful to torts.
I don't think the straw/hay is a good substrate for enclosures - it will become mouldy when damp, and it could be a fire hazard too.
Also your open enclosure will lose humidity so maybe you should possibly think about covering it.
Your tort will also need a flat shallow waterdish big and easy enough to get in and out of without the risk of tipping over and drowning. I can't really tell from your pic what your dish is like. A shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk level with substrate would do.
Have you checked your temps and humidity to make sure your tort is warm enough? From the angle of the photo it's difficult to tell if it's too high or not.
Too dry = pyramiding
Too cold + humidity = sick tort
Right temps and humidity = healthy tort.
What are you using for day and night heat?

thanks for being concerned unlike my mean sisters who hate tory =[ I have a thin plate is strong plastic and can hold a pretty good amount of water and it pretty big compared to her

AND JUST TODAY IM NEVER EVER USING TIMOTHY HAY AGAIN CUASE WHEN I LIFTED HER WATER BOWL I FOUND A COLONY OF ANTS if it weren't for the people like you at tortoise forums my baby could have been eating alive or had her eyes blind or even death so I thank you guys and I'm moving that enclose outside for now oh and btw how long do you think that enclose will last outside when it rains since its wodden and how long doyou think it'll take to root I winter if at all I don't want to lose the enclose that quick thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi glad to be of help, that's what we all do here is help each other and we all want the best for the little torts.
Why don't you start your own thread in Enclosures section to get maximum feedback.
There are lots of Russian tort keepers here who will be able to help. Although some rules are the same for all torts I have an older leopard so you may need a bit more specific help.

If you're not sure how to, click on Tortoise Enclosures then scroll down and a you will see the start a new thread ( in green).

Say where you are to give an idea of climate etc and post more pics of your box with size so people can tailor their advice to you.

I don't think the box will last very long outside in the wet and neither will your tort. They shouldn't be pout until they are a lot older. Also will you be able to provide heat out there - torts need to be warm to digest their food etc., and babies are especially vulnerable. The caresheet will tell you how warm they should be. I'll look out for your post in Enclosures. the others will tell you what plants etc you can use and how to improve your babies home.

axeman25

Central Michigan
can you tell me how to grow spider plants me and my mom tried but it dint work she has one big one with hundreds of babies but they never seem to grow after we root them and putt them in water
I've had good luck just pulling off the ''babies" and starting them in smaller pots. They take off quite well for me usually.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
that's what I tried can I just put them in water till they get big

axeman25

Central Michigan
thanks for being concerned unlike my mean sisters who hate tory =[ I have a thin plate is strong plastic and can hold a pretty good amount of water and it pretty big compared to her

AND JUST TODAY IM NEVER EVER USING TIMOTHY HAY AGAIN CUASE WHEN I LIFTED HER WATER BOWL I FOUND A COLONY OF ANTS if it weren't for the people like you at tortoise forums my baby could have been eating alive or had her eyes blind or even death so I thank you guys and I'm moving that enclose outside for now oh and btw how long do you think that enclose will last outside when it rains since its wodden and how long doyou think it'll take to root I winter if at all I don't want to lose the enclose that quick thanks
Looks like you got a little Russian there. Definatly too small to be outside unless in a protected enclosure and only on nice days. Timothy hay is not a good substrate. Try coconut coir. Thatll hold the moisture your little one needs to grow and be healthy.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
that's what I tried can I just put them in water till they get big
if you google growing baby spider plants I'm sure there's a youtube video on how to do it.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
guys thanks oh and she looks like a juvenile not a baby =]

awesomecs

5 Year Member
give me as may tips abut plants and tortoises as possible please I'm new to tortoises I had her for about a year almost 2 years now