Plants for tortoises?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I have a sunroom which is currently not in use for any plants and I figured I might as well put some plants in for my tortoises instead of letting cobwebs overtake the room. I have seen the tortoise table and know the list of edible plants from their website. But I would like to know which you guys have had the best success with. By "success" I mean which plants have grown the best for you, which plants do your tortoises enjoy the most, and which plants are the most hardy and healthy. I am going to the Hamptons, NY on thursday and I find their to be many nurseries out there with an abundance of plants. Besides purchasing plants for my yard I think I will pick up some plants for my tortoises while I'm out there. I would like to hear everyones suggestions and favorites so please let me know.

Thanks!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Is the sunroom heated in the winter?

Spider plants and wandering Jews do well indoors, but my crew won't eat them. I've had success with hibiscus growing & flowering indoors. If I had the space, I'd grow kale and other leafy greens including dandelion & plantain indoors over the winter. I grew a small rose of Sharon indoors, but they got hungry and ate it.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
The sunroom is not heated over the summer but each year I put up some plant UVB to keep my hibiscus growing. I may try dandelion the only thing is I was hoping for some instant satisfaction and not having to grow from seeds....... Does the rose of Sharon do well indoors? Thanks!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Growing trees indoors is always tricky. If you have the space & can replace it regularly I think it's worth trying.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm not sure what your are feeding, but here are a few things that may do well in a sun room. plantains transplant and grow better than dandelions for me, both the broad and narrow leaf, they also are easier to start from seeds. Wild violets should do fine. Pothos will grow just about anywhere, hosta, some of the opuntia do fine inside for a while. Wild strawberries don't need full sun so may do fine. Try plants that do well in shade or partial shade, even on a good day in winter, the sun is only up for a short time. Good Luck, wish I had a sun room.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I want to put pothos, spider plant, million heart, jade, parlor palm, and maybe some snake plant in my sulcata hatchlings enclosure. I have looked on a couple different "plant list" and I either get conflicting answers or it's just not listed at all. Spider plant is the only one that I can determine to b safe. Is these safe?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Another one, the leafs and or blooms of mettle crepe, are these ok to feed? I find conflicting info on them to

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Pothos an jade are okay, not sure about the parlor palm... and I wouldn't feed a snake plant to my tort, yucky :confused:

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Pothos an jade are okay, not sure about the parlor palm... and I wouldn't feed a snake plant to my tort, yucky :confused:
I'm not putting them in for him to eat, just for decor, I just want to make sure their safe in case he decided to take a nibble. I have drop in dishes w grasses and weeds and then food dishes for other items I will give him for him to eat on.