Plants for Russian?

Macy Fidler

What plants should I plant in my Russian's cage? It's very plain and simple and could use more to it.

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Mine likes likes to nibble on his aloe Vera. He also likes his spider plant. He doesn't eat it much, but really enjoys crawling through it, hiding under it, etc. I also have something called Irish moss which got consumed to a nub in a couple days. Clover is really easy to grow from seed inside, same with wheat grass. I'm going to try an African violet next just for some colour, as well as growing some pansies from seed. I hear good things about hostas as well, but I don't know how successful they would be in the house.

Wait....indoors or outdoors?

Macy Fidler

Mine likes likes to nibble on his aloe Vera. He also likes his spider plant. He doesn't eat it much, but really enjoys crawling through it, hiding under it, etc. I also have something called Irish moss which got consumed to a nub in a couple days. Clover is really easy to grow from seed inside, same with wheat grass. I'm going to try an African violet next just for some colour, as well as growing some pansies from seed. I hear good things about hostas as well, but I don't know how successful they would be in the house.

Wait....indoors or outdoors?
Thanks so much!!!
Both. His indoor has nothing, and the outdoor is just a fenced in area of grass. Thank you!! So I should try the ones you listed inside, except for the ones that say otherwise?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Sure! The only ones I don't know for sure about are the pansies and hostas. In spring when I can get my hands on some I will be trying them indoors too. I have better luck starting the clover and wheatgrass in pots elsewhere in the house, and moving them into the enclosure once they are growing well.

African violets, spider plants, aloe, and Irish moss can all be bought anywhere - got mine at home depot. Just be sure to transplant them out of the soil they come in because it will likely have vermiculite (those little white pieces of foam) which is fine for plants, but not something you'd want your tortoise to eat.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I have prime rose plants, then seedling of dandelion, chicory, chia clover, blue fescue grass , radish, I can't remember l.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sorry hit the reply by accident, dracaena, pothos. Russians are hard on the plants so don't plan anything you were too attached too :) even in the pots they can knock him down and eat them or just beat them up. my Russian wants tour the plant clear out of the pot and drag it across the enclosure.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Sorry hit the reply by accident, dracaena, pothos. Russians are hard on the plants so don't plan anything you were too attached too :) even in the pots they can knock him down and eat them or just beat them up. my Russian wants tour the plant clear out of the pot and drag it across the enclosure.
That's kinda funny

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That's kinda funny
Yeah, I laughed a little bit between mumbling about having to replant it. I don't know if it will survive or not right now it is in a glass of water in the window. at least I'm giving her something to do :) she is interacting with her environment.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Yeah, I laughed a little bit between mumbling about having to replant it. I don't know if it will survive or not right now it is in a glass of water in the window. at least I'm giving her something to do :) she is interacting with her environment.
Yep :)

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
I've got a succulent (that luckily he's not very keen on, so doesn't eat much) which trails across the floor, clover seeds which he eats as soon as they sprout (which keeps him foraging around his enclosure). I also have one of these 'mini trees' which he can't reach but helps to add a bit of interest for him.

Attachments

• dracaena-marginata-potted-plant__0112750_PE264649_S4.JPG
    dracaena-marginata-potted-plant__0112750_PE264649_S4.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 10