Plant ideas for enclosures.

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.
Just wanted some advice on what plants are best for enclosures.
I've tried lavender, dill, various lettuces and cress.
All got destroyed or died.
None lasted in the heat, not to mention spud climbing in it.

I've heard about spider plants but can't find them.

All experiences and thoughts welcome.
Also where to get them.

Thank you all!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Spider plants are my favorite. I have had some luck with hostas. I also plant grass and weeds. They get eaten very quickly. I tried African violets, but they didn't survive in my closed chamber.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've had great luck with a boston fern. My tortoises don't like the taste, but it has survived in the high heat and humidity with no issues and it provides good shelter for them. I also have a pot of wheat grass and a jade plant that are doing well inside the enclosure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Home base was selling 2 spider plants for £6 when I bought mine.
Thing is you have to repot and wait until any chemicals from soil or spraying has grown out.
If you know anyone with established plants that haven't been sprayed etc maybe you could pinch the babies that sprout on them.
I have about half a dozen new plants growing well in coco coir.
See if wwwthetortoisetable.org.uk recommends anything you can get hold of easily.

LemmyBites

I've had great luck with plants purchased on Amazon from seller jmbamboo. They shipped from CA and made it to Philadelphia PA in 3 days in great condition. I got parlor palms, several varieties of mother-in-law's tongue, prayer plants, and spider grass, all of which are tortoise safe and not interesting to Troggy (once he sampled them of course). They're about 3-5 bucks per plant, plus shipping.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
for ground cover, Arachis pintoi have worked really well for my tortoise pen. they are tough as nails. no issues with trampling and heat, as long as you water them daily. i keep a ready supply in small pots so i can replant the pen once the tortoises have eaten through the old plants.
some oppuntia cacti scattered here and there or along the edges would add a nice look and will provide some shade once big enough.