Pinworm medication

RussianVT

Location (City and/or State)
Burlington, vt
My adult female Russian tortoise that i adopted a month ago has pinworms. My vet said we could choose not to treat it, because but my husband is really convinced that we have to treat it because we have a two year old. I think that since we're practicing good handing and handwashing after we touch her or her habitat, it's not really a big concern. But the vet said with kids, he understands why we'd want to treat since they may not follow directions or may touch their face etc. So the question is now, how the heck do I get her to take the medicine!?! I can't get her to open her mouth. Not for salad, fruit, or veggies I've offered. I can't pry her mouth open, at least not with the little force I'm comfortable using on her face. Is there a trick I'm missing?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I spread the medicine on a Romain leaf then roll the leaf up like a burrito. Then I hand feed it to the tortoise. Your tortoise might not be ready for that yet. You can also try putting it on a dandelion flower.

Kasia

Poland
My adult female Russian tortoise that i adopted a month ago has pinworms. My vet said we could choose not to treat it, because but my husband is really convinced that we have to treat it because we have a two year old. I think that since we're practicing good handing and handwashing after we touch her or her habitat, it's not really a big concern. But the vet said with kids, he understands why we'd want to treat since they may not follow directions or may touch their face etc. So the question is now, how the heck do I get her to take the medicine!?! I can't get her to open her mouth. Not for salad, fruit, or veggies I've offered. I can't pry her mouth open, at least not with the little force I'm comfortable using on her face. Is there a trick I'm missing?
By force unfortunately.
Good luck.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't do it by force. Give your tortoise a little bit of time till she's more comfortable with you. Have your vet give you a couple extra doses, it's cheap stuff. Figure out what your tortoise likes to eat then put it on that food. There's no reason to stress out the tortoise in a non-emergency situation. Just my opinion.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A LOT of tortoises have some worms and live with them just fine.
My vet gave me PANACUR for a very heavy infestation about two years back. (new and sick tortoise) It was an easy to administer paste. I just put it into a piece of mango.
I also gave it mixed with Mazuri and blended banana.
Yours is not a fruit eating species, but mixing it with a favorite food seems to work.
Im not sure that tortoise parasites pose a risk to humans. Lets wait and see what some with more experience have to say. Because if there isn't a risk of human contamination, there may not even be a reason to treat.
@Yvonne G

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Griffith Indiana
I just had to do this. Fed some fruits, and did this exact method. Took about 20 seconds in total time for a perfect shot of medicine.

RussianVT

Burlington, vt
Thanks. I ended up waiting for her to open her mouth to eat and then sneaking the syringe in the side of her mouth. It worked.

We decided to year it because we have a toddler and my husband was concerned about her health.

What do I do with her old reptibark/ coconut coir substrate? Throw it out? Or can I compost it? Or leave it in a bag for a few weeks , to let the works and eggs die? How long can the eggs and works survive without a host?

Thanks

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks. I ended up waiting for her to open her mouth to eat and then sneaking the syringe in the side of her mouth. It worked.

We decided to year it because we have a toddler and my husband was concerned about her health.

What do I do with her old reptibark/ coconut coir substrate? Throw it out? Or can I compost it? Or leave it in a bag for a few weeks , to let the works and eggs die? How long can the eggs and works survive without a host?

Thanks
You can compost it.