pig blanket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I thought we are not supposed to use undertank heating of any kind for the actual enclosures due to them burrowing in substrate to escape heat, it's not natural, they like heat form above, etc., etc....??

I understand the pig blanket for outdoor hides for the larger tortoises. But my understanding was other than that undertank heating is a no no.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa:

An under tank heater and a pig blanket are two different things. An under tank heater sticks to the bottom of an aquarium on the OUTSIDE of the tank. A pig blanket is a plastic or fiberglass pad that sits INSIDE the viv. I don't recommend their use indoors in tanks or habitats. They were meant for outdoor use, in sheds or dog houses.

valynn

5 Year Member
I have a 50 pound sulcata tortoise and have used a variety of heating pads to keep him warm. Reptile pads in the pet store are a waste of money, the pig blankets from Osborne are great but i found with all the digging he did to burrow under his hay in his enclosure at night... well it didn't last long. We even tried laying cement board on top to protect the pad.. but feared fire too.. So we built a new BIGGER enclosure and installed a SMALL oil heater and screwed it to the floor of the enclosure and placed a protective barrier around the heater so he wont be able to harm himself or destroy / knock over the heater. We can adjust the temp for the season and he is happy with the warmth. We also installed plastic strips over the opening which keeps the heat in the enclosure. During the summer we shut off the heater during the day and then when the temps drop in the evening.. we turn it back on so he is warm through the night. No more pads and our tort is comfy. Just another alternative ... for those looking for one. BTW our tort is about 10 years old.. I say about because he was a rescue and we have had him for 9 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.