Photos of Our Outdoor Russian Tortoise Enclosure and Garden

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
He's a lucky little guy to have all that space to explore and enjoy. Every time I go to the pet store there is some poor Russian tortoise in a little tank and he can't even get in his water dish. Wish I could take them all home. Your enclosure will be fabulous when the Summer comes and he will love it.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey, there's terryo our resident enclosure expert.......hi terry....how are ya? Things here in Oregon are just freakin wonderful. I don't need sun, or a decent freeway, or a decent lawn...lol, things are ok here and all the animals are fine. I've got 4 Sulcata now....I am going to keep one of them and find a better home for the other 3. I know how much you'd love having a big tortoise ruin your beautiful enclosures. I have 15 box turtles now 4 of them are mine. Lookin for homes for the rest maybe. I'll email you, don't wanna hijack this thread......

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hey, there's terryo our resident enclosure expert.......hi terry....how are ya? Things here in Oregon are just freakin wonderful. I don't need sun, or a decent freeway, or a decent lawn...lol, things are ok here and all the animals are fine. I've got 4 Sulcata now....I am going to keep one of them and find a better home for the other 3. I know how much you'd love having a big tortoise ruin your beautiful enclosures. I have 15 box turtles now 4 of them are mine. Lookin for homes for the rest maybe. I'll email you, don't wanna hijack this thread......
E-mail me....I've missed you!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He's a lucky little guy to have all that space to explore and enjoy. Every time I go to the pet store there is some poor Russian tortoise in a little tank and he can't even get in his water dish. Wish I could take them all home. Your enclosure will be fabulous when the Summer comes and he will love it.
Thank you for the kind words! You will have to return to this thread in July when I post the "jungle" photos. The garden will be crazy at that time of year. :)

We have a Petco within walking distance and I usually see two Russians in one small glass tank with multicolored pellet food and subpar substrate. It's almost inhumane. I've seen them bicker a bit before but they're almost always asleep. The temps and humidity are way off; I think they're usually too cold in there. Their shells have such small growth, which has me thinking their diets are too high in protein and too low in fiber. :( I wish I could take them all home too.
E-mail me....I've missed you!
Awww, cute reunions! I'm happy my thread could accommodate. ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
snowtur gar.jpg PART_1456604249849_20150805_154808.jpg Here's my turtle garden in the Winter, and here it is toward the end of Summer....everything in full bloom. My Dad raised box turtles and his garden was 5 times bigger than mine with a beautiful pond. When you looked out his kitchen window, you never knew it was a turtle garden.....just a beautiful flower, fruit and veggie garden. You could always peak in between the plants a see a turtle eating fruit, or a veggie.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
View attachment 203155 View attachment 203156 Here's my turtle garden in the Winter, and here it is toward the end of Summer....everything in full bloom. My Dad raised box turtles and his garden was 5 times bigger than mine with a beautiful pond. When you looked out his kitchen window, you never knew it was a turtle garden.....just a beautiful flower, fruit and veggie garden. You could always peak in between the plants a see a turtle eating fruit, or a veggie.
I love it! :) What kind of flowers do you have there? Usually the chicken wire around the walls and ceiling of my garden gives it away, otherwise it's just a backyard garden with mostly Michigan native plants with some other tortie treats!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
A quick photo update of Steve, on the move, exploring this year's garden! More updates to come. :)

steve_on_the_move.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Steve's native Geranium is in bloom. I love the beautiful little purple flowers.

native_geranium.jpg

Here's the little star! Let's reward his cuteness with a dandelion flower. :<3:

steve_under_mushroom.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Had a lovely sunny and hot day, perfect for the tortoise! And @Turtulas-Len is awesome!! Here are the new spineless Opuntia this morning, happy in the sunshine:

new_opuntia.jpg

Later on:

steve_loves_new_cactus.jpg

And when the tortoise mommy had her back turned (with a turtle guard):

steve_loves_new_cactus2.jpg

More photos! :p Two of my geraniums are growing well and blooming. Stevie's in the background.

Stevie_and_Geranium.jpg

geranium_blooms.jpg

The rose tree adds some nice color as well:

rose_tree_blooms.jpg

I didn't feel super great today but I was still able to get some things done I've been wanting to do. I moved some stones around, moved in a couple new pavers so hubby and I could have more space to walk around, I relocated a couple plants, removed a lot of clover, and I tied back the rose tree as it was starting to fall over. Next I'd like to move out some of my more aggressive asters so they free up some space for other plants.

enclosure_after_updates.jpg enclosure_after_updates2.jpg

Steve's enclosure now has Opuntia and sedum. Woo hoo! :)

enclosure_after_updates3.jpg

Last edited:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Outside the tortoise enclosure, the mini rose bush is overgrown but has some lovely blooms now too. Steve occasionally gets a flower treat when he's been a good boy. :p Someday I'll prune the darn thing. :rolleyes:

mini_rose_blooms.jpg

Stevie ate well today and is getting quite a lot of variety in his diet now. :) Hopefully our new plants will be able to take root before Steve chows them down! The plantain (Plantago sp.) is growing excellently this year, which is always a good high-fiber option. He is one super spoiled tortoise, and that's the way it should be.

steve_noms.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Here are some photo updates; better late than never. ;)

The hens and chicks bloomed, which was a surprise to me. I didn't know they could grow upward in a stalk; just didn't think of it. Very cool. They're really liking their space in the tort garden and Steve has even nibbled on them a little bit.

hens_chicks.jpg

The Hibiscus moscheutos 'Luna Red' bloomed more this year, with its typical giant flowers. Compare the size to the plastic flamingo! :eek:

big_hibiscus.jpg

Steve has been almost swimming through a sea of green plantains, which have sprung up everywhere. Silly me, thinking I could yank out some of their seeds and somehow keep them from spreading! :p I've been pulling a lot of them now so they don't smother other plants. Steve enjoys their leaves.

green_forest.jpg

His favorite lately though has been chicory. He just loves the leaves and goes for them or dandelion first! I loved seeing these plants explode with flowers this past month. They are my definitely my favorite wildflower. :<3:

chicory_explosion.jpg

"Back to work weeding my buffet, human servant!" Steve's excuse for not helping out is a lack of opposable thumbs. Pssh! :p

happy_tort.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
September 2017:

The native asters are in bloom! :) Both the large bush on the left with white flowers and the bush in the bottom right with deep purple flowers are from Lowe's, but the rest are native species. All did pretty well this year except for those hit by powdery mildew, which appeared on some of the asters' bottom leaves, but mostly on the plantain. I'll be tearing out a lot for the fall.

asters_in_bloom.jpg

This native phlox I recently added just bloomed as well, although the photo doesn't do it justice. The flowers are a little more pink/purple than in the picture.

native_phlox.jpg

The praying mantis stopped by on the giant white aster. I watched him for a while hoping I'd get to see his crazy bug attack, but eventually I had to eat dinner. :D

mantis1.jpg

Two mantids! I guess the aster was the place to be.

two_praying_mantis.jpg

There's a lot of buzzing among the asters now, and I take careful steps in and out of Steve's garden so as not to disturb all the bumbles! Mister Honeybee even stopped by!!

honeybee.jpg

There's still one bellflower that Stevie hasn't eaten.

last_bellflower.jpg

Stevie relaxing earlier:

steve_relaxing.jpg

Ninja power!

steve_the_ninja.jpg

Steves_Tunnel.jpg

Aeva

Madagascar
September 2017:

The native asters are in bloom! :) Both the large bush on the left with white flowers and the bush in the bottom right with deep purple flowers are from Lowe's, but the rest are native species. All did pretty well this year except for those hit by powdery mildew, which appeared on some of the asters' bottom leaves, but mostly on the plantain. I'll be tearing out a lot for the fall.

View attachment 218238

This native phlox I recently added just bloomed as well, although the photo doesn't do it justice. The flowers are a little more pink/purple than in the picture.

View attachment 218239

The praying mantis stopped by on the giant white aster. I watched him for a while hoping I'd get to see his crazy bug attack, but eventually I had to eat dinner. :D

View attachment 218240

Two mantids! I guess the aster was the place to be.

View attachment 218242

There's a lot of buzzing among the asters now, and I take careful steps in and out of Steve's garden so as not to disturb all the bumbles! Mister Honeybee even stopped by!!

View attachment 218241

There's still one bellflower that Stevie hasn't eaten.

View attachment 218249

Stevie relaxing earlier:

View attachment 218262

Ninja power!

View attachment 218263

View attachment 218264
I'm really enjoying your thread. I ran across all your pictures and think Steve is a really lucky tort. There is really a bright side in having so much seasons and making changes in your enclosure all year ! You are really doing a great job. Where I am there is almost no winter or summer, quite boring... lol. Kisses to your little cutie.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm really enjoying your thread. I ran across all your pictures and think Steve is a really lucky tort. There is really a bright side in having so much seasons and making changes in your enclosure all year ! You are really doing a great job. Where I am there is almost no winter or summer, quite boring... lol. Kisses to your little cutie.
Thank you, thank you! :D Stevie is like my little son, so spoiling him is a gift for me as well!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I just spent some time looking back through my garden photos from the past few years as I prepare for a new gardening season. I can tell some of the plants will do better with a bit of tilling and some composted manure added in. I should have a good deal of compost in our bins at my disposal as well. We're apparently enduring one of our coldest springs in the last few decades. Steve is probably getting impatient waiting for it to warm up; I'll be happy if I find some buds before this month is out! This year I might also try more Calendula and Viola seeds.