PetSmart Tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast of Florida
I don't know this is entirely a debatable topic, but perhaps. Anyway, since I've been considering getting a tortoise (not from PetSmart or a big box pet store), I've been doing tons of research. Since I know things now, I'm not happy about how the Greeks are being cared for at my local PetSmart. They already have some pyramiding, they have dry substrate, and it is for sure not humid in there. For food, they are always only being fed what appears to be chopped up carrots and celery every time I see them. Isn't this all quite bad?

I'd want to rescue one, but I don't want a sick tortoise and then they'd just replace it.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is sad. You're correct though, they just get more. The only thing we can do, is not buy from them. Some managers will listen a little. Provide them with a care guide, and tell them why you won't buy from them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Jodie. Bring a care sheet and explain the proper way to house and feed. Don't just do nothing though. That's as bad as what they are doing.
I wish not buying from them would stop them from getting them, but unfortunately I don't think it will work. Too many people that don't know anything about tortoises will buy them and again unfortunately will provide the same bad care and too small an enclosure.
However, the more we complain to them, the better the lives might get of the ones they do have.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello fellow Floridian.
Have you considered a Redfoot tortoise?
They do great in our climate.
Can you keep one outdoors?
An adult Redfoot would be a great fit.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I rescued mine from PetSmart, and believe it or not, they never replaced her. Hooray!! Apparently tortoises weren't selling so great so they quit carrying them. My little girl had been there for quite a few months, now she's safe and healthy. So you could give it a shot, they might not replace the little Greek. Or they could which would be worse. Up to you. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I rescued mine from PetSmart, and believe it or not, they never replaced her. Hooray!! Apparently tortoises weren't selling so great so they quit carrying them. My little girl had been there for quite a few months, now she's safe and healthy. So you could give it a shot, they might not replace the little Greek. Or they could which would be worse. Up to you. :)
That's great!

Mr Buster

Reno NV
PetSmart is not a zoo. Yes the display my Russian was in was lacking but half they time they are cages are empty and waiting for more to some in to meet demand. I also do not believe in the way they display their Firebelly toads either because it is done in a manner to get people to buy things they do not need or are not necessary. I am satisfied with the way they keep the Russians because it is TEMPORARY. Ignore the display habitats and do your research.

Yes, If I could do it over again I would have spent a couple hundred on a baby from a private breeder and have a healthier animal and know how old he is and where he came from. But I am happy with Buster, He is a good pet.

Randra813

December 23 I purchased a Petsmart Russian Tortoise for my son, it is all he's wanted for the last 4yrs. January 9th late at night it pooped out a 2 inch round worm. 9am January 11th Tortoise went to the vet and put on dewormer and was told she may not make it another couple weeks because she is full of parasites and very weak. It may have already been wrapped around her internal organs because she was in bad shape. Last night January 16th Shelly passed away. No one from Petsmart will call me back. They refuse to put my review online so I am choosing to share my story everywhere. I was told PetSmart stopped giving them fresh veggies because it is no longer in their budget, I will never ever buy anything Petsmart related. We are a very sad family today :( Trying now to find a reputable place in Tampa FL, If anyone knows of a place. Thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
December 23 I purchased a Petsmart Russian Tortoise for my son, it is all he's wanted for the last 4yrs. January 9th late at night it pooped out a 2 inch round worm. 9am January 11th Tortoise went to the vet and put on dewormer and was told she may not make it another couple weeks because she is full of parasites and very weak. It may have already been wrapped around her internal organs because she was in bad shape. Last night January 16th Shelly passed away. No one from Petsmart will call me back. They refuse to put my review online so I am choosing to share my story everywhere. I was told PetSmart stopped giving them fresh veggies because it is no longer in their budget, I will never ever buy anything Petsmart related. We are a very sad family today :( Trying now to find a reputable place in Tampa FL, If anyone knows of a place. Thanks

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your lil Russian. Hopefully someone in your area will step in and see your post. You might want to start a new Posting under the wanted section. Good luck, don't give up.

Digger&Blinky

PETSMART ARE THEEEEEE WORST LOOK ON YOUTUBE THEY SHOVE LIVE ANIMALS IN PLASTIC CONTAINERS BUCKETS AND EVN PLASTIC BAGS THEY AE EEVEEEEEEILLLLL

yillt

Watching this video was so upsetting. I could barely make it through and I don't get upset easily. Some people might consider them 'JUST turtles or tortoises.' But these are thousands of little lives wasted. I would rather them not being brought into existence then subjected to such callous torture. So cruel...

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Was that just pet trade places in general or specifically Petsmart?

It is illegal in the USA for a pet store to sell a tortoise that is less than 4". So that video is most likely from overseas, But it is not illegal here in the USA to process and ship tortoises overseas like that.

But I have little doubt that the larger wild caught tortoises we get from overseas are treated the same or even worse coming in.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
I often go to Petco and see four or five Russian tortoises jam-packed into a tiny vivarium. I don't think they are intentionally trying to cause harm to the tortoises, but it's a tough pill to swallow to watch them all cramped up

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
We recently visited a Petsmart and there were two Russians in a little viv that was bone dry :(

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
We originally were going to get our Russian tortoise from Petsmart, but we then learned about how horribly they were kept, and decided to look for a better source. We then found an animal rescue in Michigan that was going out of business and had a Russian tortoise. The only problem was that we live in Massachusetts. Fortunately, a tortoise loving relative from Michigan was visiting at this time and he agreed to pick up the tortoise on the drive here.

Now we have Taylor.:)