Petsmart Animal Cruelty ***WARNING*** maybe be disturbing

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
We all know, that petsmart or petco, isn't the "Smartest" idea, for purchasing a furry, or scaley friend. I'm not sure if watching this video encourages others to rescue them, or to shop somewhere else. I found a animal forum online. This person bought a bird by the sounds of it, and was not pleased about the "Sudden death"
If you want to skip to the video here is the link (I DO NOT OWN THE WEBSITE)
http://www.petsmartcruelty.com/video.asp
********:(

"I think this is the best place for this. This was a post from a friend on another form. Her new budgie, max, who she got from petco recently died after an extremely heartfelt fight. It was the sweetest bird, and she was just hoping that one day, 10 years from now, she could look at him and say "Remember when I first got you and you almost died?" Petco has made sure that she can never do that. She told them and they offered to take him back and give her a new bird. She obviously said no, knowing he would be thrown away. She threatened to sue them if they did not pay for his vet care. They agreed and she got it in writing. The bill was for over $2,000. Then, after he died they said that they never agreed to pay for his vet care and that she could get a refund to cut a deal. First, he cost $12. Second, that shows how that to them he is just as important as a book. People need to know about this."

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
This is why, when my mother offered to purchase a pet store for me, I declined. The sad reality is that the living things need to be put in the category of merchandise and this makes it tough if you care about critters.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
$2000?

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology."

Cyborgerigar!

*superhuman sound effect*

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
That sickens me!!!! The need to only sell pet supplies, no animals whatsoever, leave it to the private breeders

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Those videos are really old and PetSmart doesn't use Rainbow as a vendor, haven't In a few years actually.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
One will also find, that the methods of keeping and the quality of keeping change from store to store. The quality of keeping really depends on the management.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AustinASU said:
That sickens me!!!! The need to only sell pet supplies, no animals whatsoever, leave it to the private breeders

Being a private breeder does not automatically make the care better, the animals healthier, or promises kept. Each store or breeder is different, some care and some don't.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
That made me sick!.. I used to breed birds and to see how they handled them is sickening.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
i despise petco and petsmart ...even if those vids are old..we all know that this is still going on

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
Regardless, of the age of the video, The point of it is that petsmart and petco haven't, Changed much since then. And hopefully encourages New tortoise owners, to go to different pet stores, that actually care more of the animal then the benefits they recieve. I worked in petsmart in 2008, The store I was working in wasn't nearly as careless as this one, but surely enough I could tell the animals were tortured!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
anything PETA puts out I have to keep an open mind.. not that that stuff didn't happen.. but PETA is know for putting a whole different twist to things.. They have done some good...
but 'rescuing' animals and then killing them, themselves.....so they don't end up as 'pets'.... tossing them in garbage cans... I find them very hard to trust...

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
A lot of these videos are just way out of content and such and can never be fully trusted, and they are old and things do change with times despite the common belief.

abclements

5 Year Member
I agree with Laura and Courtney... while this is a very sad video, peta does like to over exaggerate everything when it comes to animal mistreatment. They take these kind of videos and portray them in the worst way possible And then claim that, "every large scale animal producer does this to their animals." The major problem is that petsmart sees their animals as merchandise... so they treat it as such (spend as little on maintenance, to make the highest profit margin possible) and because of this they can undercut private breeders that sell their animals for more, thus perpetuating the cycle that is large scale animal sales. I'm not trying to say what they do is right, but you can bet that its not usually as bad as the video portrays, and without everybody boycotting large scale animal stores, nothing is really going to change.... sorry for the ramble... I just don't think it's necessarily fair to demonize these stores like we do here on tfo. Petsmart as a whole is not evil and has and will provide many people with little furred and feathered friends that bring great joy to many people.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I finally watched the video.

This type of treatment goes beyond pet trade. You guys should look into how the majority of chickens, pigs and cows that become food are treated.

I'm happy for my tortoises. They have good care with me. At least I can control the environment for mine and hopefully share good info so others can provide good care.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Jacqui said:
AustinASU said:

Being a private breeder does not automatically make the care better, the animals healthier, or promises kept. Each store or breeder is different, some care and some don't.

I think being a private breeder does make the care better the vast majority of the time. The level of husbandry that it takes to get turtles/tortoises to lay fertile eggs, and to get those eggs to hatch, takes more than what most (not all) pet stores provide. I think if you think about this like that, most people here would agree.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Anthony P said:
Jacqui said:
AustinASU said:

I think being a private breeder does make the care better the vast majority of the time. The level of husbandry that it takes to get turtles/tortoises to lay fertile eggs, and to get those eggs to hatch, takes more than what most (not all) pet stores provide. I think if you think about this like that, most people here would agree.

I have seen too many breeders and read of more who did not take good care of their animals. I am NOT saying all of them, just as I am not saying all Petsmarts are good. There are exceptions and I really dislike folks thinking just because they are buying from a breeder they are going to get a better animal. It's one of those things you have to research and look at all the facts in each and every case. There are a lot of folks who get a pair of tortoises (or just a female) and without knowing anything or doing things the considered the "right way", they get hatchlings. Just as there are folks who do what seems like everything right, who only seem to know failures.

russiantortuga

5 Year Member
That's terrible , I've recently purchased a male Russian tortoise from Pet smart . Good thing he's doing fine !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app