1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Pet Tortoise Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Nathan601047, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Nathan601047

Nathan601047 New Member

Hey guys, this is Nate. I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some advice. I'm in college right now living in the dorms. Sometime in the near future I'm looking to get a tortoise for the room. I had a Russian Tortoise when I was in high school but she didn't make it through her first hibernation. My dad was too cheap to let me get a heating pad or light, but she did fine over the summer. I'm looking to get another one, and I'd like it to be a smaller tortoise that can walk around my room and do turtle stuff. I can get access to kale and vegetables, what breed would you guys recommend?

Here's a pic of my old baby

Attached Files:

2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hello and Welcome. A dorm is no place for a tortoise. And what you want it to do is also very bad for a tortoise. Be kind to tortoises and wait until your out of college and have a proper place to own one.
  3. cmac3

cmac3 Well-Known Member

That's actually great advice she gave you.
    PJay and SarahChelonoidis like this.
  4. Nathan601047

Nathan601047 New Member

Aight next forum it is. Thanks for the help
  5. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

I gave the best tip. It's not fair for the tortoise.
    If your not going to listen to proper advice, your torts not going to thrive.
    But because I care more for the tort. The advice I will give is to read the care sheets under the Russian section. They are the tuffest smallest tort. Do not let him roam the floor, too many get hurt or die this way, plus it's not a proper place for a tort. Get the biggest enclosure possible. Minimum 4x8 for an adult. Even though they are small, in the wild they cover a lot of ground daily. Do not expect to keep him in a small aquarium like most people do or pet stores will try to sell you. Aquariums are only good for hatchlings.
    That said, be kind to the tortoise and wait until you have a place of your own or are done with college. If you want a pet, there are some great lizards that don't need quite as much room as a tort does.
  6. SarahChelonoidis

SarahChelonoidis Well-Known Member

Totally in agreement with the advice you've been given. Tortoises aren't suitable for dorm living - even the smallest species needs a larger space than most dorms can manage and walking around the floor in a bedroom isn't safe. As you learned last time, the required supplies are expensive. If you can't afford the heat and lights and you don't have the space, it seems pretty reasonable to wait a few years until you are in a better position to care for a tortoise.
    Gillian Moore and PJay like this.
  7. teresaf

teresaf Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Too many 'tort on floor' horror stories...Why not an iguana until after college. They're great!
  8. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Nate, and welcome to the Forum!

I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but actually it was good advice. Tortoises are wild animals - which means they haven't gone through years and years of human intervention to make them domesticated animals. As wild animals, they are still hardwired to wander over great distances, and being cooped up indoors in a small enclosure is very stressful. Also, being on the dorm room floor is quite the hazard. We've read story after story here on the forum where folks have originally told us their floor is clean and perfectly safe, only to tell us later of some horrible mishap the tortoise had undergone.

I'm sorry you didn't get the info you wanted, but we have the tortoise's best interest in mind.
  9. Gillian Moore

Gillian Moore Well-Known Member

Hello @Nathan601047 and a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Torts normally live in the wild where they roam around as they please without borders. ;) Please keep this in mind.