Pet store prices

Jbrez

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I went to petsmart to get a uvb tube light . They were 25 dollars more than amizon. I couldn't believe they were that much higher priced. It's no wonder people that don't do research such as this forum, don't take care of their pets properly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I search for just about anything I'm buying. Almost always cheaper online then in your local stores.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Amazon won't send to Morocco. :( (well only books and dvds)
I have to use pet shops.
And they're in Spain.
This works out pretty expensive when I need a new MVB. :eek:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Think of the overhead costs of maintaining a nice looking store with all those employees in a high traffic area. They have to charge more than internet sellers. The trade off is that you are supposed to get good customer service from knowledgeable employees and you can physically put your hands on a product before buying vs. looking at a pic on your computer. We all know how that ends up...

Jbrez

Minnesota
You are right tom. But petsmart and Petco are big franchises you would think they would be within a reasonable amount. All you have to do is look at Walmart, they buy in so much bulk that their prices are lower than most other stores. Where I live there is a family owned pet store that is cheaper than the chain stores.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are right tom. But petsmart and Petco are big franchises you would think they would be within a reasonable amount. All you have to do is look at Walmart, they buy in so much bulk that their prices are lower than most other stores. Where I live there is a family owned pet store that is cheaper than the chain stores.

When Petco and Petsmart first opened decades ago, their were way cheaper than all the mom and pop local stores. They used their large buying power to get things cheaper and they successfully drove many local pet shops out of business. Then, as the years went by, their prices slowly crept up to levels higher than the local shops that were charging full retail because their competition no longer existed. Personally, I was disgusted by the practice and avoided doing business with them whenever possible.

Its a free country. They can charge whatever they want, but I find a sense of irony in the fact that while they drove those other stores out of business by undercutting them in a way that a local store couldn't compete, and now they themselves are being driven out of business by undercutting from Amazon and other sellers that don't have the expense of brick and mortar store fronts to maintain. I think soon they will be out of business and the local Mom and Pop shops will have a resurgence with customers who want a more service oriented experience that internet sellers cannot provide.