Pancake

Luke leith

5 Year Member
Are glass aquariums good for pancakes or should I go with a wood tortoise table

itiswhatitis

You're 13 ? I remember I was 16 when I got my boxie. I also had a lot of support from My parents with helping with his setup and care. I've seen your Sulcata you had and sold. Then you were looking at another Sulcata and now a Pancake correct ?

Just asking.

I will note that I think it is awesome that your trying to learn. That's showing you care in the first place.

Luke leith

5 Year Member
I wasn't looking at a sucalta it was for my friend and he wanted me to ask if it was pyramided

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Weren't you asking about Russians too? I was reading that you were getting one and possibly 3

Luke leith

5 Year Member
Would you recommend a glass tank or a wood tortoise table for a pancake

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
In my experience pancake do better with an opaque (not see through) enclosure sides. Simple substrate of sandy soil, and many hides that they can feel on their back (carapace) when they tuck themselves in. I use bricks and ceramic tiles with the upside of the tile facing down, so their back can push against a smooth surface. They use water alot, so I have tried to offer two smaller water dishes, and/or a chicken type water tray (where it's an inverted jug on top of a ring, that fills by gravity). They are really messy with their water. I think they are more susceptible to too high a heat than most tortoises, make the high heat with a spot of heat (95 F to 100 F) in an enclosure otherwise kept no warmer than mid 80's F.

They spend a vast majority of their time sitting under the tile or other shelter you may make, looking out at their world. Inverted canned food boxes, (that tray like box the has sides about an inch or so) make great hides for when you might have them in quarantine. One of the more successful zoos for breeding them used many layers of newspaper for the off exhibit pancakes, on sandy soil with a water tray. This is a species where 'keep it simple' works well.