Panacur

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
O. My. Word.

I treated the torts 11 days ago. The bowel movements they are passing are the stuff of NIGHTMARES! Worms. I can't even share a pic, it's too gross.

I've removed all the substrate. There is some scattered sphagnum moss that I keep changing out every 2 days, and I'm picking up fecal "presents" as soon as I can.

Here's my plan:
It seems these torts have a pretty bad case--judging by the parasite load being demonstrated. I have removed hides and plants. I'll replace them after 4 weeks. The eggs can live outside the host for up to 3 weeks, so that's why I picked 4.
I'm also sterilizing the soaking bins after every soak and the food plates each night.
I'm going to dose 3 times. Once every 12-14 days. This is longer than most recommendations I have come across. But, when you consider that reinfestation could happen easily with these eggs, I think the third dose makes sense.

The torts seem to be tolerating the medicine quite well. I placed each one in their separate soak bin and put each dose in the tort's favorite food. I kept them in the bins until the dose was completely ingested.

If any of my thoughts seem incorrect or you have experience to share, I welcome the feedback. This is certainly a learning curve for me.

Thanks?
S

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
O. My. Word.

I treated the torts 11 days ago. The bowel movements they are passing are the stuff of NIGHTMARES! Worms. I can't even share a pic, it's too gross.

I've removed all the substrate. There is some scattered sphagnum moss that I keep changing out every 2 days, and I'm picking up fecal "presents" as soon as I can.

Here's my plan:
It seems these torts have a pretty bad case--judging by the parasite load being demonstrated. I have removed hides and plants. I'll replace them after 4 weeks. The eggs can live outside the host for up to 3 weeks, so that's why I picked 4.
I'm also sterilizing the soaking bins after every soak and the food plates each night.
I'm going to dose 3 times. Once every 12-14 days. This is longer than most recommendations I have come across. But, when you consider that reinfestation could happen easily with these eggs, I think the third dose makes sense.

The torts seem to be tolerating the medicine quite well. I placed each one in their separate soak bin and put each dose in the tort's favorite food. I kept them in the bins until the dose was completely ingested.

If any of my thoughts seem incorrect or you have experience to share, I welcome the feedback. This is certainly a learning curve for me.

Thanks?
S

That should say:

Thanks!
S