Painting a tortoise?

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
My spouse brought up a debatable topic on tortoises. Here is his question.

Are forum members totally against painting a tortoises shell?

I explained I wouldn't personally do it. But, I would gladly ask the question for him.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I wouldn't do it. Don't see a reason to and I would be afraid it might cause problems. I know some people do put a number or a mark on their tortoise maybe to tell them apart. But I don't know what they use and how long it takes to wear off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom,
Even if safe paint is used? What would be your concerns?

The paint would block the transfer of humidity in or out of the scute material and scute margins and the stiction on the growth lines could interfere with proper growth.

In addition, I just find it distasteful. It bothers me. I feel the same way about country music and most rap.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have a Russian tortoise that I rescued. She had a flower painted on her back. It caused the shell under the flower to grow deformed. I think tortoises are beautiful. I love the colors and patterns. It completely confuses me as to why you would paint something so beautiful.

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
I'm against it, too, because it can have unintended consequences. We got a rescue female sulcata that had one scute painted red. Our male sulcatas were attracted by the color and would try to bite her shell thinking it was food. The paint eventually faded as she grew, but I think you can see why I wouldn't recommend this at all.

Last edited:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I don't think it's harmful as long as there's no paint on the scute margins. I've seen a few tortoises that were growing asymmetrical until the paint was scraped off the growth lines.

I put acrylic colour points on my tortoises to tell them apart easily, even when I can't see them clearly inside their cold frame. It wears off within a few weeks or months (depending on where on the points are).

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't think it's harmful as long as there's no paint on the scute margins. I've seen a few tortoises that were growing asymmetrical until the paint was scraped off the growth lines.

I put acrylic colour points on my tortoises to tell them apart easily, even when I can't see them clearly inside their cold frame. It wears off within a few weeks or months (depending on where on the points are).

Unfortunately, some people don't just put dots on their torts. They paint them up and it's totally unacceptable and unnecessary. If you (meaning, the original poster) need to paint, paint a portrait.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Unfortunately, some people don't just put dots on their torts. They paint them up and it's totally unacceptable and unnecessary. If you (meaning, the original poster) need to paint, paint a portrait.

Sibi,
Thanks for your input, however, I think your a little off base. I for one (the original poster) never said I wanted to PAINT a tortoise. I actually didn't share my belief system with the post. It was a sense of how people that truly love tortoises would feel about it. Good thing it was just a question. I paint with oils.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I'm against it, too, because it can have unintended consequences. We got a rescue female sulcata that had one scute painted red. Our male sulcatas were attracted by the color and would try to bite her shell thinking it was food. The paint eventually faded as she grew, but I think you can see why I wouldn't recommend this at all.

I can totally see. :) Thanks for your input.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sibi,
Thanks for your input, however, I think your a little off base. I for one (the original poster) never said I wanted to PAINT a tortoise. I actually didn't share my belief system with the post. It was a sense of how people that truly love tortoises would feel about it. Good thing it was just a question. I paint with oils.

My error then. I'm simply replying to anyone who thinks painting a tortoise is fine and acceptable. If you didn't state that position, then I apologize since I didn't read the original post.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I stand corrected. In my original post. I stated "I wouldn't personally do it". This post was not edited at anytime. Thanks guys!!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I've used nail polish on the schutes(not the growth lines) so I could tell mine apart. I've often wondered why more people don't use water colors on them as decoration on holidays and such. Red white and blue? Or chalk...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In addition, I just find it distasteful. It bothers me. I feel the same way about country music and most rap.

Should have clarified more: Most current rap, but not my old school stuff like Planet Earth, Wheels of Steel, Egyptian Lover and Jam on it. And all country except for Devil Went Down to Georgia and anything from Johnny Cash.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'd never do it: you never know what harm it could do to your tort. Mind you, I saw them on net painted with flags of different nations, which really looked great. But I repeat I would not do it. I'm not willing to harm or even risk any harm to my beloved tort for anything, let alone colours of a flag.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
The most I would ever do is a tiny itty bitty dot for identification purposes if for some reason I couldn't tell my turtles/torties apart