Painted turtle trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi Guys, ready for a sad story? and maybe someone can help. First I know this is not for Paints, but I belong to this group and fell I 'know' some of you. I work for a vet,who is NOT a qualified herp vet. She sees herps only by default, and sometimes gets lucky. There is NO qualified herp vets in my area and she sees these guys out of the owners desperation. And some of the area vets have Rxed Ivermectin!!! At least shes up on some things!!But I doubt she could sex a tort!(well don't know for sure if I could)
So, this 65 yr. womand comes in with this paint, that shes a bit worried about. It was flat!!!! Cold and skinny, broke my heart. Asked about heat etc(after finding info on line, and common sense) Told her to try and get temps up. gave some SQ fluids.
Any ideas, besides another vet?? It was picked up 5 yrs ago from the wild. UGH!!! She is out of social security money. She really shouldv'e left it be,my 12 yr old knows that. We think it is way to far gone, but any thoughts!!??
Please don't berate me, I have nothing to do with it.
Thanks
Na

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Room temp should be good. I wouldn't raise temp above 70 degrees (I'm assuming it is an eastern) as a higher temp may stress it further. Try feeding it earthworms or such (turtle pellets don't move enough to stimulate feeding response). Of course you realize that it most eat in water deep enough to submerge head and neck. Pray.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi again, thanks,
I was on the Turtleforum.com and they say water temps upper 70's to 80's and basking actually up to 90's. I don't have much hope for this tort but didn't want anyone to get miss information. Seems like a pretty good site. Austins Turtle page.Have you guys been there?
This turtle was so limp. Actually had beautiful eyes.No puffyness,swelling,discharge. But it did seem that her hind legs were puffy near the thigh area.Poor Poor thing. And the woman is so nice, just so naive..
N

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would try for about 76-78 for starters and a light.

She has had it for five years or somebody else has? What size is it? What is she keeping it in? What has it been fed for five years?

What do you mean it was flat? Do you mean the shell was flatter than normal for a water turtle? Can this animal still swim? Can it stand up on it's legs and walk normal? Is it weak?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Sorry, guess I didn't do well explaining. This woman picked this turtle up 5 years ago crossing the road(or something) She has it in a 20 gal aquarium, with the flouresent top(like for fish) She has given it 'turtle food' for that long and she says every year this pet slows down and hardly eats for a time.
When she brought the turtle in, the limbs were hanging and her head was hanging. There was no life at all. When the vet started to check her out, she did pull her head in, but certainly was all she had. She was ice cold. I am not sure if she could swim or not,she was given some warmed fluids under her skin and hope for the best.But thats what I meant by flat. Just flat. Her shell was a little pitted, but didn't seem fresh. Like they were there along time. I don't know.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nay, did the vet try to force feed some food?? It may give the little thing the energy it needs.. I don't like refering to other turtle/tortoise sites but you might check out www.turtletimes.com and go to the first aid section. They have a lot of aquatic turtle owners on there, plus turtle rescuers. Good Luck Plus if you pm me your location, I can try to find a herp vet close to you.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
jenrell23 said:
Nay, did the vet try to force feed some food?? It may give the little thing the energy it needs.. I don't like refering to other turtle/tortoise sites but you might check out www.turtletimes.com and go to the first aid section. They have a lot of aquatic turtle owners on there, plus turtle rescuers. Good Luck Plus if you pm me your location, I can try to find a herp vet close to you.

Yes, a few ground up worms with baby food.
Barely swallowed. I am in Mass Thanks

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nay, I found a list that states there is a reptile vet in Abington, Andover, Chelmsford, Grafton, Jamaica Plain, Kingston, Pelham, Plymouth, Wakefield, Wayland, Westborough, Weymouth, and in Worcester. I will pm you the names and phone numbers so you can call them. Hopefully one is close, but of course the woman may be willing to drive. I would for my torts, my vet is and hour one way but I would drive farther for a great vet. Luckly the one I go to is somewhat close but I know he is good and knows what he is doing. Good luck with the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.