Pacing

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Friends,

I've moved the babies into their new home. It's 8 x 3 x 2 ft. Substrate is coco coir. Lights are 12%uvb fluorescents in back and double 6400 t5 ho bulbs in front.

Plants are mix of real and plastic/silks.

Torts are almost 1 year old ibera. There are 3.

2 of the torts are great. One paces.

1. Can you guys help me figure out why one is pacing? Do I need more visual barriers?

2. My humidity was too high for ibera, so I'm letting the substrate dry out. As it dries, it's crumbling as they walk--sort of giving way under their legs. Should I add something to make it more firm?

3. Could 2 6400 bulbs and 1uvb bulb be too bright?

Enclosed are pics from inside the enclosure. There are cameras at each end.

Thanks in advance for any help!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496416273.263391.jpg

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Different critter, different personality. Some more restless than other. Perhaps more hide area placed on perimeter of habitat both in warm and cooler area would help ease restlessness partly by interfering with path of travel? You have good sized area and young animals should be parasite free. As long as healthy should not worry particularly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't tell what type tortoises these are. Also how many are there?
The enclosure looks great, if it's not covered, it will be impossible to keep heat and humidity where it needs to be. If they aren't actually babies but adults then covering it isn't needed as long as your provide a warm humid hide. Just be sure to measure temps and humidity at tort level.
As for pacing, could be because you have a pair together which is never recommended or because it's a new place being checked out and will settle in once it's all has been discovered.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would try adding more plants, logs, driftwood, etc for more cover. My guess is too much open space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could be just because it is a new area. Torts don't like change and this one might be desperately trying to get "home", while the other two are more content in the new area.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you all for the help. I'll put more hides and plants/driftwood. I thought open space would be good for exercise, but maybe it is causing some anxiety.

I appreciate the help.