Overwintering Sick Tortoise -help

Angie312

Location (City and/or State)
Covina, CA
I have an 8 year old California Desert Tortoise. He is currently undergoing antibiotic treatment for Runny Nose Syndrome. By the time his treatment is done it will then be time for him to begin hibernating but it's not good to let him hibernate with the antibiotic so recently in his system as it can turn into a toxin when his metabolism slows down? I want to keep him from hibernating, need help, suggestions please as he always hibernates every year.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
Does it HAVE to hibernate? I haven't hibernated my Hermanns for past couple years. I did the first year but I missed them so much I just haven't for past few years.
Has it been eating for past few months? Any weight gain? IMO the last thing you want to do is to hibernate it with a lingering respiratory infection and have that infection continue to deteriorate its health while hibernating.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Just don't hibernate him this year. It's too risky to put a tortoise that has been recently sick/on antibiotics into hibernation.

Angie312

Covina, CA
Does it HAVE to hibernate? I haven't hibernated my Hermanns for past couple years. I did the first year but I missed them so much I just haven't for past few years.
Has it been eating for past few months? Any weight gain? IMO the last thing you want to do is to hibernate it with a lingering respiratory infection and have that infection continue to deteriorate its health while hibernating.

He doesn't have to hibernate, no. He has been eating normally and has not gained or lost weight, his vet says aside from the respiratory infection he's perfectly healthy. I want to keep him awake this winter, it's just that I've never done it. He lives outdoors. Any tips on an indoor enclosure?

Angie312

Covina, CA
Just don't hibernate him this year. It's too risky to put a tortoise that has been recently sick/on antibiotics into hibernation.
I agree! Any tips on an indoor enclosure? He lives out doors in our back yard

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Build a plywood box and add heat lamps to the proper temperature. Yvonne will be on soon she knows her stuff when it comes to these tortoises.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you keep them nice and warm they will not brumate.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Make sure he gets 12 to 14 hours of 'daylight' every day, keep the temperatures up and offer lots of tasty food so he doesn't stop eating and in a short time he'll be back to normal and think it's still summer.

HardShellFan

los angeles
I have an 8 year old California Desert Tortoise. He is currently undergoing antibiotic treatment for Runny Nose Syndrome. By the time his treatment is done it will then be time for him to begin hibernating but it's not good to let him hibernate with the antibiotic so recently in his system as it can turn into a toxin when his metabolism slows down? I want to keep him from hibernating, need help, suggestions please as he always hibernates every year.

Hi Angie!

Sorry to hear about your tortoise and his cold! I have a rescued CA Desert Tortoise, Enzo, who is over 23years old and he periodically gets a cold too and I do not let him hibernate. I'm also in Los Angeles but closer to the beach and sometimes get fog/dampness so I have to be careful about the weather conditions. For the most part, feed as normal with calcium and fresh water but the appetitie won't be as hearty as in the summer. I have a "PowerSun" light bulb over the outdoor pen to ensure there is warmth and UV for at least 8-10 hours -- make sure you have the quality light fixture with a ceramic socket as it gets super hot and make sure it's placed where nothing can catch on fire. The other thing I do is to bring in Enzo at night for two reasons -- raccoons and damp night air -- any solid plastic container that can be made dark will make your tortoise feel safe with some bedding -- punch holes in the lid to help air circulation if you put the lid on. Then put your tortoise back outside in the morning with the PowerSun on. If there is lots of rain, I won't put him out because of the dampness -- just leave in his plastic container inside the house but know that they may soil the box and you will need to clean it up. If there is just light rain I will put Enzo out with the PowerSun on (you will need to protect the light from getting wet) as it does rain in the desert and the rain will encourage him to drink water.

Several years ago Enzo had a cold that kept coming back so I switched vets (the old vet ordered expensive tests and prescribed only antibiotics)-- I had the good fortune to have found Walter Rosskoff, DVM, a wonderful vet and kind man with a wealth of knowledge and experience with CA desert tortoises. I don't remember the specifics but he was involved with a desert tortoise project years ago -- something about researching why desert tortoises were dying from respiratory disease. I'm including a link to a page that has his recommendations for treating respiratory problems -- his protocol is to administer not only an antibiotic (Baytril) but also a nasal flush -- my previous vet did not do the nasal flush -- and I feel strongly that the nasal flush is a huge help.
https://tortoise.org/general/urds.html
This is also a link to the CA Turtle & Tortoise Club for taking care of recently sick tortoises and keeping them from hibernation:
https://tortoise.org/general/descare.html

Good Luck and Cheers!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree! Any tips on an indoor enclosure? He lives out doors in our back yard
I had to do this several years ago with our 40 year old Greek. We set up a very large enclosure that took over most of our dining room floor. It was a stressful winter for both of us. Joe was used to having the run of a large space in the garden and found indoor confines much too small. The natural warmth of the house meant he was often awake when he should have been asleep and I could hear him clattering around trying to get out in t he small hours of the morning.

I agree. Your tort shouldn't be hibernated. Make an indoor enclosure as large as you can. Use a UVB tube and basking lamp and then hope spring starts early.

Angie312

Covina, CA
Hi Angie!

Sorry to hear about your tortoise and his cold! I have a rescued CA Desert Tortoise, Enzo, who is over 23years old and he periodically gets a cold too and I do not let him hibernate. I'm also in Los Angeles but closer to the beach and sometimes get fog/dampness so I have to be careful about the weather conditions. For the most part, feed as normal with calcium and fresh water but the appetitie won't be as hearty as in the summer. I have a "PowerSun" light bulb over the outdoor pen to ensure there is warmth and UV for at least 8-10 hours -- make sure you have the quality light fixture with a ceramic socket as it gets super hot and make sure it's placed where nothing can catch on fire. The other thing I do is to bring in Enzo at night for two reasons -- raccoons and damp night air -- any solid plastic container that can be made dark will make your tortoise feel safe with some bedding -- punch holes in the lid to help air circulation if you put the lid on. Then put your tortoise back outside in the morning with the PowerSun on. If there is lots of rain, I won't put him out because of the dampness -- just leave in his plastic container inside the house but know that they may soil the box and you will need to clean it up. If there is just light rain I will put Enzo out with the PowerSun on (you will need to protect the light from getting wet) as it does rain in the desert and the rain will encourage him to drink water.

Several years ago Enzo had a cold that kept coming back so I switched vets (the old vet ordered expensive tests and prescribed only antibiotics)-- I had the good fortune to have found Walter Rosskoff, DVM, a wonderful vet and kind man with a wealth of knowledge and experience with CA desert tortoises. I don't remember the specifics but he was involved with a desert tortoise project years ago -- something about researching why desert tortoises were dying from respiratory disease. I'm including a link to a page that has his recommendations for treating respiratory problems -- his protocol is to administer not only an antibiotic (Baytril) but also a nasal flush -- my previous vet did not do the nasal flush -- and I feel strongly that the nasal flush is a huge help.
https://tortoise.org/general/urds.html
This is also a link to the CA Turtle & Tortoise Club for taking care of recently sick tortoises and keeping them from hibernation:
https://tortoise.org/general/descare.html

Good Luck and Cheers!
Wow! So helpful thank you so much! Tyrone’s vet has been doing the nasal flushes too. In fact we tried to do that on its own before the antibiotic shots hoping it would clear up, but no such luck. He has had two shots of the antibiotic. It’s been 2 weeks and he sounds MUCH better, and no runny nose but he is still very congested. Still breathing through his mouth. He has a follow up visit tomorrow to see if he needs one more dose. I have been soaking him a few times a week which seems to help a bit too. Otherwise he is still eating and moving about as usual, maybe a bit less as it is getting cooler and darker earlier. Thank you for the link! Very helpful!

Angie312

Covina, CA
I had to do this several years ago with our 40 year old Greek. We set up a very large enclosure that took over most of our dining room floor. It was a stressful winter for both of us. Joe was used to having the run of a large space in the garden and found indoor confines much too small. The natural warmth of the house meant he was often awake when he should have been asleep and I could hear him clattering around trying to get out in t he small hours of the morning.

I agree. Your tort shouldn't be hibernated. Make an indoor enclosure as large as you can. Use a UVB tube and basking lamp and then hope spring starts early.
Thank you so much! Here’s to hoping for an early spring! Lol

Bee62

Germany
Hello Angie, I have read that tortoises should not hibernate when they are treated with antibiotics a short time before. The antibiotics stay in the organism of the tort and can cause issues when the tort hibernates. Because of this fact your tort can`t hibernate this winter even when he seems to be okay. Keep him warm, give him bright light and fresh greens so he can recover in the winter. Please don`t let him hibernate.