Overhang help

Location (City and/or State)
Central Kentucky
This is going to be my tortoise table for a adult Russian. It's 20 inches deep 3' wide. I want to know how wide of a overhang do I need to install? And can I glue it on with wood glue? Also can I use Scott's top soil as the base substrate? I have orchid bark for top.

IMG_1048.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over hang? You mean to stop him from climbing out? I don't think you need that at 20" deep.

I would not use soil. There is no way to know what composted material it is made of. Read the ingredients and look for guano, perlite, vermiculite or anything else that might be a problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just use a 1x2 board. You don't need a really big lip, just enough that he can't grab the top of the enclosure with his little fingers to climb out.

Central Kentucky
Over hang? You mean to stop him from climbing out? I don't think you need that at 20" deep.

I would not use soil. There is no way to know what composted material it is made of. Read the ingredients and look for guano, perlite, vermiculite or anything else that might be a problem.
Ok cool, I talked with you in another thread. I ditched the topsoil strictly using orchid bark thanks again.

Central Kentucky

Could you help me out again? This is my doorway to the other table there is a few gaps in the trim just wondering is that going to be safe? Will he get his nails caught? should I cover that with a whole solid piece of trim? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1317.JPG
    IMG_1317.JPG
    957.8 KB · Views: 13

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd put a little piece of 1x3 across there. Or maybe fill in the gaps with some silicone sealant.