Overgrown Beaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
If the beak is very overgrown and the tortoise is having trouble eating, it is necessary to trim it (or take it to the vet to have it done professionally.)
Many people feed their torts on a slate tile or some sort of flat rock, which keeps the beak trim when they eat.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
None of my Red-foots, even back in the 80's ever had this problem. Some of my Box Turtles over time have, though. I think that a diet that includes fibrous food, not too much calcium or protein and stuff, and generally good cares usually take care of this.

If you had it, I would recommend a care review and seeing a vet for a safe, painless way to do the trimming.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Thanks guys I was just wondering what causes it because I have seen so many pictures of torts this way... esp. russians for some reason.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I use flat river rocks (natural slate), about 12" to 18" inches in a more-or-less rounded rectangle, as feeding stations...helps keep beaks and nails trimmed handily, yet looks perfectly natural in the enclosures.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I keep a hard feeding surface as well. Cuddle fish bone is always available to them. We have not had any beak or nail issues doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.