Overgrown beak

Taylor Brynn

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I'm thinking about taking my Russian Tortoise, Simeon, to the vet to get a beak trim. Because I am only 14 and I can't have a job, I only want to take him if necessary due to the $97 price tag for a consultation and trim... can anyone tell me if I should take him or not?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500656932.580168.jpg
Thanks!

Bee62

Germany
Hello and welcome to the forum.
To answer your question: You should take your tortoise to a VET for beek trimming. Otherwise your Simeon will soon get difficulties with eating.
Do you have some cuttlefish bones in the enclosure of your tort ?

Taylor Brynn

Washington
Bee62
Yes I do keep cuttlebones and large stone throughout his enclosure, I just never see him using them

Taylor Brynn

Washington
Hello and welcome to the forum.
To answer your question: You should take your tortoise to a VET for beek trimming. Otherwise your Simeon will soon get difficulties with eating.
Do you have some cuttlefish bones in the enclosure of your tort ?
Yes I do keep cuttlebones and large stones in his enclosure, I just never see him using them

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
does he tolerate handling well? Maybe you could watch some videos, read instructions and do it yourself?

Bee62

Germany
Yes I do keep cuttlebones and large stones in his enclosure, I just never see him using them

That`s a pitty ! My torts use cuttlebones and I have seen them sometimes biting in wooden things in their enclosure. They all have short beeks.
Do you cut the food of your tort in small pieces ?

Taylor Brynn

Washington
That`s a pitty ! My torts use cuttlebones and I have seen them sometimes biting in wooden things in their enclosure. They all have short beeks.
Do you cut the food of your tort in small pieces ?
Nope, I mostly use kale and radicchio as a base for his meals and then add on mustard greens, collard greens, endive, dandelion, Day Lilly, creeping Jenny, clover, and mazouri mix and I just put the whole piece of green on a vigil flat stone for him....

Taylor Brynn

Washington
does he tolerate handling well? Maybe you could watch some videos, read instructions and do it yourself?
He does OK with handling but I've already tried filling his beak with a nail file and I got SO overly stressed out and I actually think I may have fractured part of his beak- no little piece broke off and he didn't act any different and still eats fine- but I heard a little crack noise and ever since then I haven't touched it. I would NEVER want to cause my animals and pain so I'm to scared to do it. I think I'll just try to either petsit for someone, walk dogs, or maybe babysit to earn the money...

Bee62

Germany
He does OK with handling but I've already tried filling his beak with a nail file and I got SO overly stressed out and I actually think I may have fractured part of his beak- no little piece broke off and he didn't act any different and still eats fine- but I heard a little crack noise and ever since then I haven't touched it. I would NEVER want to cause my animals and pain so I'm to scared to do it. I think I'll just try to either petsit for someone, walk dogs, or maybe babysit to earn the money...

Can you ask your parents for the money ?
With a nail file you cannot harm your tortoise if you are careful.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
When I acquired my Russian from an animal rescue, he had a severely overgrown beak. (much worse than yours) He could still to eat just fine, so I was not worried about rushing it. Every morning, when he was rather sleepy and didn't freak out as much as when he was fully awake, I would use an Emery board and just gently file away. After about a month, his beak was nice and short, and, feeding on a rough rock and offering a cuttlebone, (which I have never seen him use.) his beak has not become overgrown again.