Outside temp is affecting the inside!

courtoon

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkville, IL
Hi guys! I just adopted a Russian tortoise today, and I have her in a 20 gal tank. I will get a wooden zoomed cage soon, just waiting on the funds. Right now I have her in my basement because that's the only place we have space, and it is COLD down there. It's about 60 degrees normally. I have a 150 watt lamp in there and the temp gauge I have sticking on the wall says its about 82 in there right now. I have Aspen Snake Bedding in there right now for substrate ( I know, bad choice. It's so dry. The pet shop guy told me very wrong. I will be switching it soon to something that can hold more humidity!)
It feels very cold in there even though the temp guage says its 80-ish. My tort was buried in the substrate and when I felt her, she felt cold! She's just a baby, 2 mo old. I am very worried. I moved her under the lamp and she buried again and she was feeling warmer, but I don't want to turn the lamp off for the night :( Do you guys have any suggestions on how to keep her warmer?

Maitaimommy

Cold, dark basement....yikes! Not the best choice but I'm sure you're hands are tied:(
I had a pet store associate give me terrible advice too. His name was CJ and he certainly wasn't qualified or knowledgeable in this particular area.( I will never ask him or any other pet store employee for any more advice!
I've used Aspen snake bedding in a pinch. It claims to be safe for torts but your right it is too dry! Best of luck to you!

Freckles24

TN
I couldn't tell you how to make it warmer other than moving it. And honestly a 20 gallon is tiny... It doesn't take up that much space. Where are you planning on putting the zoo med thing? I would switch to eco earth. I ordered mine from dr foster and smith and it was ~$5 for 3 bricks which would be enough for a 20 gallon. Is it a 20 gallon long or high? Even for a hatchling that's not much floor space. I would look into buying a 55 gal off Craigslist that you could use for a year or so. Also the zoo med boxes aren't recommended because the lack of space and humidity. When my hatchling gets bigger I'm going to use a stock tank made to water livestock they're like $70-100

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You may want to make an enclosure of you own more cheaply from scratch or you could use an old bookcase or two lying on their backs with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner or similar, covered with plexiglass or such with holes cut our for the lights. Check out the enclosures section for ideas, as has been said the Zoo Med houses are not big enough and don't keep in humidity. You need six feet by four feet as a bare minimum for this species.
You need to buy a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or two for nighttime, which give off heat, but no light, as the tortoise needs darkness to sleep.
You may need another heat source for the day as your basking spot should be 95 to 100 degrees.
Make sure you carefully read and follow the caresheets I posted for you on your other thread.