Outdoor escape artist

Alpha752

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I know Russians can be quite the escape artists, and Henry has already shown that he has no problem digging in the short periods he's been outside. I want him to be able to spend as much time outside as possible, since our nice warm days are limited.

I can't build anything permanent in the yard as we rent and the landlords don't want some crazy tortoise pen dug into the yard. I was thinking about maybe some wire fencing that I could just stick into the grass like this:

a1d5be163f456895f3c7ed785677e251.jpg

Would he be able to dig under that and escape? He wouldn't be out there for long periods, maybe a few hours at a time, but would be unsupervised for some of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely he could get thru it. I used dog puppy play pen in my yard. It's my yard so it's left there with dirt and grass over it. You could use a large wired do crate or chicken wire attached to top and bottom of a wood frame.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My Russian could get over that, either by climbing it or bulldozing it over. :eek:

A wood frame wouldn't be permanent, or at least not that hard to knock apart when you moved? If that won't work, what about running together a couple of kiddie pools? I know there was a thread here recently about a similar setup.

I think it's best for them to have outside time but not at the risk of easy escape.*

*Owner of an escaped Russian.

Alpha752

Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Thanks for the opinions. I could put together a frame or fence like that, I guess my concern was the Russians ability and affinity for digging. Could he dig himself under a wood or fence enclosure in a few unsupervised hours?

Rosie24

Brighton, England
Hello this is going to sound stupid but how do you post on this website? i have a few questions about my Hermanns but no idea how to post. thank you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort will try to barge his way through anything he can see through. As Tom said if there is a visual barrier he settles down if his view is blocked with something like a plank of wood or even just a strip of cardboard against the fencing.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I just set up a circle or square of cement blocks starting from and coming back against a wall, or make a penned off area using the blocks, then cover it securely with a hinged/detachable frame with wire mesh. That is a temporary outdoor pen that can be easily disassembled.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I know Russians can be quite the escape artists, and Henry has already shown that he has no problem digging in the short periods he's been outside. I want him to be able to spend as much time outside as possible, since our nice warm days are limited.

I can't build anything permanent in the yard as we rent and the landlords don't want some crazy tortoise pen dug into the yard. I was thinking about maybe some wire fencing that I could just stick into the grass like this:

a1d5be163f456895f3c7ed785677e251.jpg

Would he be able to dig under that and escape? He wouldn't be out there for long periods, maybe a few hours at a time, but would be unsupervised for some of it.
I put some of those borders around some plants in my yard. Charlie bulldozed over them and bent them up. He is much larger than a Russian though.