Outdoor enclosure - raised bed?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Tuleo just turned a year and a half (he is on the smaller size for a Sulcata) and we are in the process of making plans for a new outdoor enclosure. We plan on moving in a year and due to our current yard size we thought we would go with a raised bed type enclosure 5 feet wide by 12 feet long and approx. 26 inches tall, not including the wire top I will make (hinged) - this way people can view our home and see a neat (huge) raised bed they can garden in. He has his oasis inside and is outside when the weather is nice (he comes in around 5pm every evening.) The plan is move in a year (to another state) with tons of space/acre and build his permanent oasis there. Anyways... I was thinking of using corrugated metal (roofing) and building it like the following (stolen) photo. I would be sinking bricks or hardware cloth under it as the "planter" would have no bottom (so he can dig, but he really isn't a digger just yet.) Since we are in SETX it would be FILLED with tortoise safe plants/grasses, hiding holes, water access, sunny spot (around plants) deeply shaded areas and (of course) only filled halfway, if that.. I am a bit paranoid that the metal will get hot so I will be planting a TON of things close to the "edge" especially. When he is outside I usually spay down his oasis in the morning, put him in and let him have at it all day. Especially in the heat of summer.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• bed.png
    bed.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 110

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's going to get very hot. I wouldn't use metal. You'll have to fill it less full than the photo so he doesn't climb & fall out. But the general idea is good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree. Good idea in general, but watch those temps carefully. A lot of tortoises cook to death every year.