1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Outdoor enclosure - raised bed?

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by DawnH, Mar 31, 2015.

1. DawnH

DawnH Well-Known Member

Tuleo just turned a year and a half (he is on the smaller size for a Sulcata) and we are in the process of making plans for a new outdoor enclosure. We plan on moving in a year and due to our current yard size we thought we would go with a raised bed type enclosure 5 feet wide by 12 feet long and approx. 26 inches tall, not including the wire top I will make (hinged) - this way people can view our home and see a neat (huge) raised bed they can garden in. He has his oasis inside and is outside when the weather is nice (he comes in around 5pm every evening.) The plan is move in a year (to another state) with tons of space/acre and build his permanent oasis there. Anyways... I was thinking of using corrugated metal (roofing) and building it like the following (stolen) photo. I would be sinking bricks or hardware cloth under it as the "planter" would have no bottom (so he can dig, but he really isn't a digger just yet.) Since we are in SETX it would be FILLED with tortoise safe plants/grasses, hiding holes, water access, sunny spot (around plants) deeply shaded areas and (of course) only filled halfway, if that.. I am a bit paranoid that the metal will get hot so I will be planting a TON of things close to the "edge" especially. When he is outside I usually spay down his oasis in the morning, put him in and let him have at it all day. Especially in the heat of summer.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• bed.png
      bed.png
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
  2. johnsonnboswell

johnsonnboswell Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It's going to get very hot. I wouldn't use metal. You'll have to fill it less full than the photo so he doesn't climb & fall out. But the general idea is good.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

I agree. Good idea in general, but watch those temps carefully. A lot of tortoises cook to death every year.