Outdoor enclosure question

sparky_8

I have a 4x8 enclosure built with landscape timbers right now. We are picking up our new boxie from a rescue this weekend. I have a lid built for nights with chicken wire, but I don't want to leave it on during the day.

I'm planning to build an overhang on top to prevent climbing escapes when the lid is off during the day. How far out should the overhang extend? I have 1x6 right now that will give it about 2.5" overhang... is that enough or should I go to a 2x8?

I have shade plants (hosta and boston fern) and hiding spots for more shade, so the overhang would simply be escape prevention.

Thanks!

sparky_8

Here's a photo. The fern has been replaced with a verified Boston and there is a Hosta near the center as well. Open to suggestions and advice. We are bringing our new boxie home Saturday, so I plan to complete this tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• habitat.jpg
    habitat.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 56

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have a 4x8 enclosure built with landscape timbers right now. We are picking up our new boxie from a rescue this weekend. I have a lid built for nights with chicken wire, but I don't want to leave it on during the day.

I'm planning to build an overhang on top to prevent climbing escapes when the lid is off during the day. How far out should the overhang extend? I have 1x6 right now that will give it about 2.5" overhang... is that enough or should I go to a 2x8?

I have shade plants (hosta and boston fern) and hiding spots for more shade, so the overhang would simply be escape prevention.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Very nice outdoor enclosure! Your new box turtle will be very pleased. What type of box turtle are you getting? Your overhang should be fine if you still limit putting things near timbers to where they can climb onto it and scale the overhang. Good luck and share some pics when you get it!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
be aware they can climb very well. Do what you can to prevent the little guy from climbing out. Good Luck. Welcome.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Keep your plants away from the sides. You will not believe what they are capable of. The more plants for them to sit under and get out of the sun, the better. Throw in some leaf litter on one side where you can add worms and pill bugs for them to find. A few pieces of flat slate for feeding on and a nice size water dish for him to sit in and soak on his own. Your enclosure looks really nice.

sparky_8

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone. We used this same habitat for a boxie we got from a friend. Little guy kept falling into a trench on a job site he was working at. I took him in for awhile and he scaled the enclosure and is living now in a large field out by our house. I've seen him out and about a few times. I think he's better off not in captivity since he started out wild.

The escape of him is why I'm asking about how to prevent it in the future. Good to know the overhang should be sufficient. We have bricks 2 deep lining the underside of the walls to prevent digging escapes. Plants are far enough away from the walls to prevent climbing out that way as well.

Terryo, not sure if you can see it, but in the bottom left corner there is a terracotta dish for water. It's about 20 inches wide and a few inches deep. Our last boxie seemed content with it. Should I consider something else though? I have a paving stone that we plan to feed him on for the most part. Should I get slate instead? Is there a difference? I know feeding on something like rock helps keep the beak and nails down... but is slate better for them?

I knew I was forgetting something... Going to gather leaf litter now! We used that all the time with our previous boxie.

Thanks again! Happy to be here.