Outdoor enclosure plants

Aspen_The_Loner

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I’m trying to move my 3-4 year old cd tortoise outside this summer since his indoor enclosure is getting a little tight and I have a pretty large kiddie pool ready to move him to that I’ll add a wire top too. But i just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for tort safe plants that I could start up (or buy) to later add to this new enclosure (I do already have a spineless prickly pear cactus started up). And maybe some ideas for a way to keep a section of the enclosure cooler that he can rest in since it can get really hot where I live.

Last edited:

daniellenc

Maryland
What kind of tortoise? Tortoise supply sells a plethora of great seed!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I loved my kiddie pool for sunning for a few hours. I always had it in part shade.

I just bought grass seeds from tortoise supply and ARIZONA tortoise compound.

IMG_8696.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Rose of Sharon is a tortoise favorite. You can plant it outside the kiddie pool, they love the flowers and it provides shade during the summer.

Aspen_The_Loner

Northern California
Rose of Sharon is a tortoise favorite. You can plant it outside the kiddie pool, they love the flowers and it provides shade during the summer.

I’ll definitely check all that out. Luckily after trying to kiddie pool in different places in my backyard I’ve found a spot where pretty much half of it is always completely shaded and haven’t had any problems with it heating up. I haven’t moved my tort out full time but if I’m home I’ll let him hang out for a bit

daniellenc

Maryland
Rose of Sharon is blooming finally. Apparently it grows easy and comes back. My mulberry I just discovered lol. My point is you may be growing tort food.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I just reread that your tort is 3-4yrs. A kiddie pool might be to small for him.
Mine is 3 and has a 8x20 pen and utilizes the whole thing. Can you make him something bigger? Cinders are cheap and easy to work with.

Aspen_The_Loner

Northern California
I just reread that your tort is 3-4yrs. A kiddie pool might be to small for him.
Mine is 3 and has a 8x20 pen and utilizes the whole thing. Can you make him something bigger? Cinders are cheap and easy to work with.

Luckily I’m most likely going to be moving which is why I got the kiddie pool instead of building something. But when I finally move I plan on building something bigger and more permanent probably with cinders like you suggested