Outdoor enclosure for Burmese Brown Mountain Tortoises

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Absolutely outstanding!!! One of the best I've seen.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It's wonderful! I like that it looks appealing while being functional at the sane time ;)

I can't quite tell what's on the solid wall behind the enclosure. Cords? Vines?
If it is indeed dormant vines, I bet it'll sure be pretty when it's full! If it's cords, well then, nevermind. But some vines would look nice.. :cool: Hehe

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
It's wonderful! I like that it looks appealing while being functional at the sane time ;)

I can't quite tell what's on the solid wall behind the enclosure. Cords? Vines?
If it is indeed dormant vines, I bet it'll sure be pretty when it's full! If it's cords, well then, nevermind. But some vines would look nice.. :cool: Hehe
Thank you. On the wall is a trellis I made from copper pipe about 10 yrs ago. I used flexible copper pipe to look like vine branches that cross enough to make it sturdy. It is supported at the bottom by a ridgid copper pipe. Now it just serves as a backdrop.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Getting ready for our first cool front. Won't be very cold but should give me an idea of what to expect when it does get cold. I will not be using a heater this time.
IMG_1738.JPG
I'm monitoring temperature and humidity and will compare to the outdoor temp and humidity.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Getting ready for our first cool front. Won't be very cold but should give me an idea of what to expect when it does get cold. I will not be using a heater this time.
View attachment 189990
I'm monitoring temperature and humidity and will compare to the outdoor temp and humidity.
I LOVE IT! ! ! ! ! :<3::<3:

Very nice enclosure! ! !

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
I LOVE IT! ! ! ! ! :<3::<3:

Very nice enclosure! ! !
Thank you. This morning the temp is only about three degrees warmer inside. It's windy and one side came loose at the bottom. I'm planning to seal it up a little better today and see how we do with the sun during the day and the temperature drop tonight.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Thank you. This morning the temp is only about three degrees warmer inside. It's windy and one side came loose at the bottom. I'm planning to seal it up a little better today and see how we do with the sun during the day and the temperature drop tonight.
When does the sun get to it ? Also how long ? Any wind ornopening will cool it rather quick. It should work Well though I mean just to help warm it up.quicker also any cool winter or fall air will be deflected . I'm interested to see the results tho temp wise. Enclosure is very nice. My mts are jealous lol

Kyle

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
When does the sun get to it ? Also how long ? Any wind ornopening will cool it rather quick. It should work Well though I mean just to help warm it up.quicker also any cool winter or fall air will be deflected . I'm interested to see the results tho temp wise. Enclosure is very nice. My mts are jealous lol

Kyle
The sun hits it between 9:30 and 11:30 and seems to warm it up nicely. Right now at 10:45 it is 74 degrees (F). I did not have a chance yesterday to improve the wind resistance in some areas. It should help to allow them to stay outside on some days, but I need to do some work to see how effective it can be. Our low last night was not very low (62F). Now that they have a nice enclosure, I hate to take them out and keep them in my garage. This is why I am trying this experiment. Next fall I will probably build an insulated, warmed night box (unless I have miraculous success with this).

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
The sun hits it between 9:30 and 11:30 and seems to warm it up nicely. Right now at 10:45 it is 74 degrees (F). I did not have a chance yesterday to improve the wind resistance in some areas. It should help to allow them to stay outside on some days, but I need to do some work to see how effective it can be. Our low last night was not very low (62F). Now that they have a nice enclosure, I hate to take them out and keep them in my garage. This is why I am trying this experiment. Next fall I will probably build an insulated, warmed night box (unless I have miraculous success with this).

My guys stay out year around. I have a heat box for them. But some of them dont even use it. I've had them out all the way down to the 40s and they do fine. Mine are black mts they are more cool tolerant Then the browns. They do have the option to go into the heat hide but as long as there is sun in the am the cool nights never really effected them.

Kyle

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
How large are yours? Mine are 2 yrs old and about 7 inches+. I expect they would be more cold tolerant as they get larger. I sealed up some vulnerable areas today and put Velcro on the door area to prevent the plastic from separating. I just got in the enclosure and it feels much warmer and more humid inside. At the very least, this will reduce the amount of time that they need to be moved into the garage in their old 75 gallon tub.
IMG_1739.JPG IMG_1741.JPG
It is really nice inside. I think I may put a chair in there for some peace and quiet time. At 3:00 pm 71.4F and 65% humidity. Filtered afternoon light. Tortoises in their hide....go figure.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
How large are yours? Mine are 2 yrs old and about 7 inches+. I expect they would be more cold tolerant as they get larger. I sealed up some vulnerable areas today and put Velcro on the door area to prevent the plastic from separating. I just got in the enclosure and it feels much warmer and more humid inside. At the very least, this will reduce the amount of time that they need to be moved into the garage in their old 75 gallon tub.
View attachment 190182 View attachment 190183
It is really nice inside. I think I may put a chair in there for some peace and quiet time. At 3:00 pm 71.4F and 65% humidity. Filtered afternoon light. Tortoises in their hide....go figure.
My guys all range from 7.5inches to almost 12 inches. I live in southern California so our weather's not bad really. Just cool.nights in the winter. They are active even as low as 60-65 degrees. They are most active when its cooler days . when it's too hot they hide.

Kyle

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Enclosure update: I am 100% satisfied with how this enclosure has worked out. I had a couple of concerns at first including water pooling on top, inability to keep temperature warm enough and inability to keep humidity high enough. None of these concerns have materialized.
IMG_1762.JPG
I hung a milk house heater from the top and plugged it in to a temperature triggered outlet designed for soil warmers (probe can be placed anywhere desired). This has reliably kept the enclosure warm (temp set to 70F). In addition, since the the cooler air will be near the ground, I installed a wire, soil warming cable in their main hide that keeps the soil at 75-80F. The tortoise have remained active with a decrease in activity only on the coldest days.
Rain has not been a problem at all and the pond has helped to keep the humidity up, along with condensation that collects on the plastic. It is very low maintenance. I feed the tortoises, water plants every few days, occasionally clean out the hide and that is it. It was a lot of work but will definitely pay off.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
My guys all range from 7.5inches to almost 12 inches. I live in southern California so our weather's not bad really. Just cool.nights in the winter. They are active even as low as 60-65 degrees. They are most active when its cooler days . when it's too hot they hide.

Kyle
My group of browns stay out in the low fifties with no issues. I have three yearlings and a two year old, but they are very large for their age.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Our temperatures dip into the thirties with a freeze once or more per year. I thought I would have to bring them into my garage, but this set-up has allowed them to stay in the outdoor enclosure. It appears that they will be able to use the outdoor enclosure year round without being locked in a box (which I thought would be my next project). I like that the mountain tortoises can tolerate temps that might be too cold for other species. These guys still have a healthy appetite when temps in the enclosure near the ground are in the 60s.

Consultant

I really love the set up you have and am thinking about doing a more temporary setup of this kind for the summer months for my RF tortoise. I have a question though, as brown mountain tortoises get quite large, what are you going to do when they become adults?

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
I have a garden around the corner of the house that I will likely use to expand the available area as they grow. When they are fully grown, I may have to re-evaluate my setup. I may let them roam the yard during the day. I have designed the enclosure so that I can create a doorway on either side in order to have options.