Out or In?

C

Cold caution

Hi

I have 2 spur thighed tortoises,
They are 5 years old and currently live in doors with us, they have a cosy house under the stairs with heater and Tube light and the free reign of the down stairs.
They are getting big and noisy now and we have a large grassy garden but we are scared to put them out incase they freeze.
Can they hibernate happily outside and fend for themselves???

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I hate using generic names like 'spur thigh' because there's a lot of room for error. Some people refer to the Sulcata tortoise as a spur thigh. Most commonly, though, it's a Greek tortoise.

Sulcata tortoises don't hibernate, however, they DO get big and noisy.

Some species of Greek tortoises do hibernate, however, they DON'T really get all that big. . . noisy, yes, but big, no.

I don't keep Greek tortoises, but I do have Russians. I can't allow my Russians to hibernate outdoors because it rains too much here. A cold, wet hibernating tortoise will usually wake up dead.

So, our questions to you are:

Can we see pictures of the tortoises to be sure what species we're concerned with?
What part of the world do you live in (so we know what weather we're talking about)?

C

Cold caution

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I hate using generic names like 'spur thigh' because there's a lot of room for error. Some people refer to the Sulcata tortoise as a spur thigh. Most commonly, though, it's a Greek tortoise.

Sulcata tortoises don't hibernate, however, they DO get big and noisy.

Some species of Greek tortoises do hibernate, however, they DON'T really get all that big. . . noisy, yes, but big, no.

I don't keep Greek tortoises, but I do have Russians. I can't allow my Russians to hibernate outdoors because it rains too much here. A cold, wet hibernating tortoise will usually wake up dead.

So, our questions to you are:

Can we see pictures of the tortoises to be sure what species we're concerned with?
What part of the world do you live in (so we know what weather we're talking about)?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cold caution

Hi

Thanks for your reply

When I bought these they were said to be spur thighed, they do look very different from each other too?
We live in Portsmouth,

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi

I have 2 spur thighed tortoises,
They are 5 years old and currently live in doors with us, they have a cosy house under the stairs with heater and Tube light and the free reign of the down stairs.
They are getting big and noisy now and we have a large grassy garden but we are scared to put them out incase they freeze.
Can they hibernate happily outside and fend for themselves???

Thanks

Hello and welcome. I hope we can help.

-Tortoises should not live as pairs. They are solitary animals. Sometimes groups can work, but not pairs.
-Tortoises should not be loose in a house. Its a disaster waiting to happen and we see tortoises get sick, injured, impacted or killed here all the time from the practice. The vets that I know see it even more.
-Where are you? What are the current day time highs and lows? I put my smaller tortoises outside in a safe enclosure during nice weather and bring them back inside to their heated indoor enclosures during cold nights or cold days.
-Tortoises left to fend for themselves outdoors usually die. Some manage to survive somehow, but many die. Hibernation is good for temperate species, but it should be done correctly and under more controlled conditions that what can be found outside.

Advice will vary depending on your location, and as Yvonne indicated, which type of "spur thigh" you've got. Have you got Testudo graeca, or Centrochelys sulcata? Both are commonly referred to as "spur thigh tortoises", but they have very different temperature and care requirements.

Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I googled Portsmouth and there are many. What country are you in? This forum has members all over the world.

You have a pair of greek tortoises. AKA "Mediterranean spur thighs".

It looks like they've been raised on the dry side, and they are also showing signs of metabolic bone disease which can be from a lack of UV, the wrong diet, lack of calcium, or some combination of the three.

I typed this up for russian (horsfield) tortoises, but care for your tortoise is essentially the same. This thread and the previous one I linked should help get you on the right track.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

C

Cold caution

Hi

Really! That's very concerning!

We bath them once a week, they have fresh greens, grapes etc and a varied diet.

We are in Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi

Really! That's very concerning!

We bath them once a week, they have fresh greens, grapes etc and a varied diet.

We are in Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

With the exception of a few forest species like red foot tortoises, fruit is not good for them. Too sugary and wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio. Their main diet should be various broadleaf weeds.

C

Cold caution

Thanks a lot for all your replies

The pet shop told us that 10% of their diet should be fruit?
We also give then pellets from the shop supposedly designed specially for our tortoises?
So are my tortoises ok to live in the garden? And can they hibernate safely?
We also buy them bags of mixed salad leaves from tesco, are they ok?

Thanks guys

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @Cold caution and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

I'd give the cute torts a daily soak in warm water. This would avoid dehydration and stop pyramiding where it is. ;)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets available. ;) Keep asking questions.;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks a lot for all your replies

The pet shop told us that 10% of their diet should be fruit?
We also give then pellets from the shop supposedly designed specially for our tortoises?
So are my tortoises ok to live in the garden? And can they hibernate safely?
We also buy them bags of mixed salad leaves from tesco, are they ok?

Thanks guys

Actually, it should have been stated, "Fruit can be given as a treat, but not more than 10% of the diet, and not regularly."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are quite a few UK members who hibernate their tortoises, but I rather think they bring them in either to a fridge or box to hibernate indoors. Let's ask @JoesMum She's in the UK and has a Greek for these past 40 years.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I wouldn't hibernate them.
They have been fed the incorrect diet, kept in the wrong conditions and have pyramiding and possibly MBD.
I think you need to up the temperatures change the diet and study hibernation for next year.
They need to be separated, given enclosures of at least four foot by eight each and allowed to grow stronger.
Please read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
And http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
I like this one for diet : http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
The ones in bold are best.